Advanced Query for property "due-by" between 7 and 30 days from now, sorted by due-date and priority

2 things.

1. user preference. Personally for readability I prefer date format EEE dd MMM yyyy myself (it isn’t officially supported even :see_no_evil:)
  2. thinkering is only required as we’re talking about a property value which points to a journal page. When we talk about a block on a journal page it is much more straight forward.

Because it is not something your query is currently returning as a result.
You return the block:

{:block/properties-text-values
 {:due-by "[[Friday, 26.04.2024]]", :status "#defacut"},
 :block/uuid #uuid "662f6f55-48f2-431c-a227-59f81b7df483",
 :block/properties
 {:due-by #{"Friday, 26.04.2024"}, :status #{"defacut"}},
 :block/left {:db/id 21},
 :block/refs [{:db/id 4} {:db/id 22} {:db/id 24}],
 :block/properties-order (:due-by :status),
 :block/format :markdown,
 :block/content
 "TODO Task to do\ndue-by:: [[Friday, 26.04.2024]]\nstatus:: #defacut",
 :db/id 41,
 :block/path-refs [{:db/id 4} {:db/id 21} {:db/id 22} {:db/id 24}],
 :block/parent {:db/id 21},
 :block/page {:db/id 21}, 
 :block/marker "TODO"}

Nowhere in this data is the information we need for sorting.
For that we would need the page data for that Friday date:

{:db/id 22,
 :block/created-at 1714384725767,
 :block/journal-day 20240426,
 :block/journal? true,
 :block/name "friday, 26.04.2024",
 :block/original-name "Friday, 26.04.2024",
 :block/updated-at 1714384725767,
 :block/uuid #uuid "662f6f55-8420-436c-9129-ded978361bc2"}

Here we find the :block/journal-day which can be used.
We just don’t have this information available to us in the block data. So we will need to add that.
Which is where my examples came in :see_no_evil:

So taking the query you posted earlier we can add to it for this purpose.

#+BEGIN_QUERY
{:title [:h3 "Soon... (7-30 days):"]
 :inputs [:-7d :+30d]
 :query [:find ?d (pull ?b [*])
  :keys date block ;bind :find output to keys: the ?d variable to date and the block data to block
  :in $ ?start ?next
  :where
   [?b :block/properties-text-values ?textprop] ;get plain text of the properties
   [(get ?textprop :status) ?stat] ;get the status property
   [(contains? #{"#defacut" "determinat"} ?stat)]
   [?b :block/properties ?prop]
   [(get ?prop :due-by) ?due] ;get the due-by property
   [?b :block/refs ?j] ;get the block references
   [?j :block/original-name ?journal] ;get the page name of the reference
   [(contains? ?due ?journal)] ;check that the reference is actually present in the property
   [?j :block/journal-day ?d] ;get the date of the journal page
   [(<= ?start ?d ?next)] ;check that the journal page is in range
;   [(get ?prop :priority) ?stat] ;get the status property
 ]
 :breadcrumb-show? false
 :result-transform (fn [result] (sort-by ;sort the result by the :date key through some functions
  (fn [r] (get-in r [:block/properties :date])) ;use the binding from the map below
  (map ;make a new map from the result set
    (fn [r]
      (update (:block r) :block/properties ;we're going to update the values for the block attribute :block/properties
        (fn [u] (assoc u :date (get-in r [:date]) ) ) ;putting the :date key/value pair from the results into the :block/properties attribute.
      ) 
    )
    result
  )
 ))
}
#+END_QUERY

(had to comment out the last line of the where as that is not a property I have in my test data :slight_smile: )

Oh cmon, what is this :))) not much thinkering you sau?:))

I copy/pasted the code and it doesn’t sort it for me :frowning:

If it was up to me, I would take the “literal” [[Friday, 26.04.2024]], extract the numbers with regex and reverse those ($3$2$1) and use that but I wouldn’t know to do that in closure…

Edit: if i use List View it shows the correct order, if I use Table View it’s still nok as it orders “literal” by the day of week starting word of the due-date column. Query: if I clicked on the column header to sort it ascending or descending, does it write that somewhere ins the internal db so that i “remmebers” it? Otherwise I can’t understand why List View would work but not Table View …

Edit2: :man_facepalming:ok, deleted that block and created a new block with the same query and it works this time. Nevertheless, the level of proficientcy one is supposed to have to just look for a property value, match it with something that logseq internally has as a value (journal-day) and sort it the way you showed is astonishing to me. Kudos to you that you can do it but I don’t think i’ll be ever able to learn advanced queries at such high level and many more like me :(. It’s a pitty there isn’t a more friendly way to do advanced queries that is intuitive and doesn’t require to learn a new programming language :-/
… and with that rule you commented :slight_smile: I wanted to have a next level sorting by priority (after sorting by date) :)))… Now i’m soo inclined to quit advanced queries cause I don’t want every query i want to build to be written by somebody on the forums (most likely you :slight_smile: )…

That’s possible, in a way. I mean regex is supported :slight_smile:

That’s because if you click on one of the column headers it will add a query sort to the meta data of the block and that overrides whatever the query tries to do itself :expressionless:
Very annoying! So can either make a new block, or delete the sort line from the file.
Example from one of my files:

- query-sort-by:: block
  query-table:: true
  query-sort-desc:: false
  query-properties:: [:block :datum]
  collapsed:: true
  #+BEGIN_QUERY
  {:title [:b "Session List"]
   :inputs [:query-page]
   :query [:find (pull ?b [*])
    :in $ ?page
    :where
     [?p :block/name ?page]
     [?b :block/page ?p]
     [?b :block/properties ?prop]
     [(get ?prop :datum)]
   ]
   :collapsed? true
  }
  #+END_QUERY

Haha thanks. Only took me like idk… a year to get there?! :smiley:
It took me ~3 months to understand basic advanced queries at all. Like how the syntax should be read/works.
So I understand. It is a VERY steep learning curve. I’ve been consistently (near daily) building/working with advanced queries since November 2022… :sweat_smile:
I will never claim advanced queries are simple, easy or intuitive. BUT! I’m always happy to lend a hand to build another one :smiley:

I see that but it’s not sustainable. Not for the thousands+ users Logseq should lure with intuitive sense-making of the data they input using the tool… I could learn datalog and what not but why? Aren’t no-code/low-code all the rage now? I have so many other things to do I simply don’t have time and don’t consider it something that should be the de-facto-status. So I refuse it for now, trying to improve my other, more transferabele and future-proof needs like workflows, data quality, etc.

1 Like