Advanced Query that pulls all reference AND recursive name spaces

I spend almost 12 hours on getting this working. So I’m sharing it with the internet hoping it saves someone else the same headache.

#+BEGIN_QUERY
{:title [:b "PAGINA Taken"]
:query [:find (pull ?b [*])
     :in $ ?currentpage %
     :where
     ; Unified condition: Either it's from namespace or it references the page
     [?b :block/marker ?marker]
     [(contains? #{"NOW" "LATER" "TODO" "DOING"} ?marker)]
     (or
       (and
         [task ?b #{"TODO" "LATER" "NOW" "DOING"}]
         [?b :block/page ?p]
         [?ns :block/name ?currentpage]
         (check-ns ?ns ?p)
       )
       (and
         [?p :block/name ?currentpage]
         (or [?b :block/refs ?p]
             [?b :block/path-refs ?p])
       )
     )
    ]
:result-transform (fn [result]
                  (let [sorted-result (sort-by (fn [h] (get h :block/marker)) > result)]
                    (map (fn [m] (assoc m :block/collapsed? true)) sorted-result)))
:group-by-page? false
:breadcrumb-show? false
:inputs [:current-page]
:collapsed? false
:rules [
[(check-ns ?ns ?page)
 [?page :block/namespace ?ns]
]
[(check-ns ?ns ?page)
 [?page :block/namespace ?t]
 (check-ns ?ns ?t)
]
]
}
#+END_QUERY

What does this query do?
This query pulls all the undone tasks that reference the current page somewhere in their path OR reside on any-level namespace below it. It shows them all.

How is it meant to be used?
Imagine you have the following hierachy: Work/Company A/Project X. You could paste this query on all three of the pages (Work, Work/Company A, Work/Company A/Project X) and it would show you all tasks related to that page including children pages from that point. It does not matter whether you tag a page inline, you indent under it or you put it on the page itself, it collects all those things.

So besides putting it on the pages itself you could do

• LATER From everywhere in Logseq, you can tag and it shows up in [[Work]]
  • [[Work/Company A]]
    • LATER Task also show up both on pages ‘Company A’ and ‘Work’ when tagged like this
  • [[Work/Company A/Project 1]]
    • We have a meeting here
      • Another bullet point
        • LATER This task is also found under ‘Work’, ‘Company A’ & ‘Project 1’ pages. As the depth does not matter

limitation:
Logseq doesn’t really handles aliases well. You’ll need to reference the entire namespace in order for the tasks to show up. So if you were to only tag [[Company A]], then it doesn’t show up (also not at page ‘Company A’, as it is really page ‘Work/Company A’. Logseq doesn’t internally link aliases like that. I really think this is a bug rather than a feature. Hope it changes sometime soon. Until then, we’re stuck with referencing the entire namespace always.

Edit: I just saw in the ‘Queries for Task Management’ thread that there is something like an (or-join) which could potentially solve this problem. I’ll leave that note here for now, I’m not gonna look into that myself for now.

Hope it helps anyone, cost me way to much time as ChatGPT doesn’t understand Datalog nearly as well as it does Python :')

NICE!
Linking it :smiley:

Also I’ll grab this query and I’ll fiddle around and make the alias work (hopefully, that’s the plan at least)

One thing I do notice right away.

(or [?b :block/refs ?p]
             [?b :block/path-refs ?p])

That or is redundant. :block/refs result is contained in :block/path-refs. So :block/refs is not needed.

Also you define the marker values twice, which is redundant as well.
[task ?b #{"TODO" "LATER" "NOW" "DOING"}] isn’t necessary as you have [(contains? #{"NOW" "LATER" "TODO" "DOING"} ?marker)] already.

So ehm… I don’t wanna be mean or anything… butteh… what is the problem with aliases exactly?
Also your complex query can be made waaayyyyy easier… all the complex logic you did was redundant. (I expected as much, but wanted to test it first)

Here are some screenshots to better illustrate. So please test this out as well and let me know any problems you encounter so we can fix them!
At the top is the result from the query you posted and the query below is my simpler version.

And here’s the page I used initially / contains the actual tasks.

Here’s my version of the query:

#+BEGIN_QUERY
{:title [:b "Simple Tasks list"]
  :in $ ?currentpage
   [?b :block/path-refs ?p] ; this gets all the references to ?p regardless of the nesting.
 ]
  (map (fn [m] (assoc m :block/collapsed? true)) sorted-result))
 )
}
#+END_QUERY

So love to hear the problem you have with aliases!

1 Like

It’ll be interesting to see if and what he answers.

You’re not being mean at all. I highly appreciate the fact that anyone is even remotely engaged with something I invested so much time in.

Let me go over the differences.
Let us have the following setup:

It’s a hierarchy of Company/Project/Meeting. I’ve added one task tagged inline for every page, indented for every page and living on the pages itself. So 9 tasks in total (+2 alias-tagged tasks, I’ll come back to those at the end).

For the page: Company/Project/Meeting, our queries are the same:

For the page: Company/Project, my query has one task more. Namely the one that lives in it’s subpage “Meeting” itself.

Lastly, for the Company page, my query has two more: the task living on Company/Project and the task living on Company/Project/Meeting

All the additional namespace complexity was necessary to make the namespace search recursive. If i’m not mistaken, it’ll grab all the tasks of any depth hierarchical children.
I think I added the (or) around path and refs because I was under the impression that it would otherwise miss inline tags, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.
Lastly, as you can see, both our searches are missing the tasks that are indented beneath an alias-tag, which is a pitty. It tends to clutter my experience, but it’s not a biggie.

I did however, clean up my query based on your first two points of feedback. This is cleaner indeed.

#+BEGIN_QUERY
{:title [:b "Complex Tasks list"]
     :in $ ?currentpage %
     ; Unified condition: Either it's from namespace or it references the page
     (or
       (and
         (check-ns ?ns ?p)
       )
       (and
         [?b :block/path-refs ?p]
       )
     )
    ]
                    (map (fn [m] (assoc m :block/collapsed? true)) sorted-result)))
[(check-ns ?ns ?page)
 [?page :block/namespace ?ns]
]
[(check-ns ?ns ?page)
 [?page :block/namespace ?t]
 (check-ns ?ns ?t)
]
]
}
#+END_QUERY
1 Like

@CappieXL
wow, this is great Thanks a lot for sharing this i was looking exactly for this, is it possible to use this query instead of the current page, can I give namespace name and get all tasks under the namespace. if it’s possible, I am planning to use it on my journal page where i can have project-wise tasks can listed on journal page :slightly_smiling_face:

For example

Work/project/1
Work/project/1
Work/project/1

Personal/home
Personal/travel
Personal/save

if i want tasks under work can be listed ?

am a rookie on queries but just found it by trail & error
seems just I have to change the :inputs ["work"] on the query now I can query all tasks from work namespace :saluting_face:

2 Likes

Ah that makes sense. I guess I missed that part somewhere!

Yes, references go up (toward parent), but not down. I’m interested in taken another look some day again :slight_smile:

This is definitely solvable with a or page or alias of page. I’ll take that on when I come back to this. For now here’s an example of such a thing.

And one in the context of nested todo’s.

1 Like

You could avoid the [?ns :block/name ?currentpage] clause in the second and by using an or-join instead (learned it from @Siferiax)

#+BEGIN_QUERY
{:title [:h3 "Tasks within recursive namespace or reference" ]
    :in $ %
      [?b :block/marker ?m]
      [(contains? #{"TODO" "DOING"} ?m)]
      (or-join [?b]
          (and
             [?ns :block/name "anki"]
             (check-ns ?ns ?p)
          )
          (and
             [?p :block/name "anki"]
             [?b :block/path-refs ?p]
          )
      )
 ]
      [(check-ns ?ns ?p) 
       [?p :block/namespace ?ns]
      ]
      [(check-ns ?ns ?p)
       [?p :block/namespace ?t]
       (check-ns ?ns ?t)
      ]
  ]
}
#+END_QUERY

Oh, and I almost forgot, if you end up using ?currentpage, remember to add it to the or-join list!