Align text, images etc to the right (workaround)

The following two hacks work for plain text only (no references, tags etc).

To align so text to the right you can just use the following Hiccup syntax anywhere in a block:

[:div {:class text-right} "Text here"]

It creates a new line inside the block itself and align the text to the right.

Second option, align some text to the right on the same line, so you can have some text on the left and some on the right in the same line:

[:span {:class ra} "Text here"]

But in addition, for this second option only, you need to add the the following in your custom.css:

.ra{
    float: right;
}

(or use whatever class name you prefer instead of “ra”, remember to replace it both in Hiccup and CSS)

Result of the second option:

IMG_20221215_164837_999

Edit: ignore the other methods to align images to the right, here there is the simplest one:

CC @smos @ari_notes @Ngungu

At the end of an image reference add {:class "right"} like this:

![](image.png){:class "right"}

And in custom.css add these rules (the first will work on desktop, the second on mobile):

.image-resize:has(.right) {float: right;}
.asset-container:has(.right) {float: right;} 

If you want to use :class "something" then replace the two :has(.right) with :has(.something) (notice the dot before the class name).

If you are wondering what’s the syntax to assign multiple classes: {:class "foo bar"} (I use a second class to invert the color of images in the dark mode).

Here there is the Hiccup to align an image to the right instead (with the method #2 explained above):

[:img {:src "assets:///path/to/graph/assets/example.png" :class ra}]

or you can use any URL (with https://) instead of the link to an asset of yours like the above.

Result:

4 Likes

Further improvement

The method above to align images suffers of a big disadvantage: you must use absolute paths that include your graph local path; this defeats portability.

Luckily @hkgnp developed this script that makes image render even with local paths:

const observer = new top.MutationObserver(() => {
  const graph = logseq.api.get_current_graph();
  let allElems  = document.getElementsByClassName("ra");
  allElems = Array.from(allElems);
  if (allElems.length > 0) {
    allElems.map((elem) => {
      let currPath = elem.attributes[0].value;
      currPath = graph.path + "/" + currPath.substring(currPath.indexOf("/assets"));
      elem.attributes[0].value = currPath;
    });
  }
});

observer.observe(top.document.getElementById("app-container"), {
  attributes: false,
  childList: true,
  subtree: true,
});

this script must be placed inside custom.js file in /logseq folder inside a graph folder and Logseq must be restarted for this to take effect. This assumes you used the CSS mentioned in the previous post (where a class “ra” i.e. right-aligned was defined). Then, you will be able to render images aligned to the right by placing something like this in a block:

[:img {:src "../graph/assets/example.png" :class ra}] Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet[...]

Use Macros for further portability

Instead of writing the hiccup syntax mentioned above in each block, one could define a macro and pass the URL to it, in this example the macro is named “image-right”:

"image-right" "[:img {:src \"../graph/assets/$1\" :class ra}]"

so in your config.edn file you have to find the section about macros and insert the above line. You should have something like this:

:macros {
        "..." "..."
        "image-right" "[:img {:src \"../graph/assets/$1\" :class ra}]"
        "..." "..."
        }

where "..." "..." represent other macros that eventually you defined.

Then you can just use this in your blocks:

{{image-right example.png}}

In case in the future you decide to change the impementation of “image-right” you would need to update only the config files and not Markdown files of your graph.

Hi,
it seems that’s possible to add a custom CSS class also in Markdown (I don’t know if this is a new feature or not…), like so: ![](../assets/image.png){:class "ra"}
So you need only the custom.css changes and not the custom.js changes.

It seems to work, I don’t know if it is a sort of hidden “feature”…

Apparently you can add a class to an image but I was not able to apply the “ra” one to align it to the right, did you?

You are right, float does not work, because for a Markdown-added image it should be applied to div.image-resize that contains the image.

It should be possible with the :has CSS pseudo-selector, something like this:

div.image-resize:has(.ra) {
    }

but it’s still not supported in Logseq 0.9.8 (Electron 20.3.8 if I’m not wrong…).

So your method is still the valid one.
Sorry, I did post a little too fast…

No problem, this will serve as a reference for when Electron and Logseq will be updated, thanks!

1 Like

@smos

Logseq master branch has been updated to Electron 24, so probably we will get :has() in the next version, maybe 0.9.11 :slight_smile:

@alex0 wondering if this is working at this time (0.9.11), I am looking for a simple way to have images centered (bullet-indent-aware centering), in the same way that LATEX math output gets centered in the page?

Also once I add the custom CSS in the logseq configuration,

div.image-resize:has(.ra) {
    }

How do I ‘invoke’ the custom alignment in the image/block?

I have not tested it but it should be:

[](../assets/image.png){:class "ra"}

1 Like

I have put the macro in the config.edn file, added the ra class to the css file, but I cannot get this to work.

As you can see, the image is rendered as that tiny square in the top right corner.

BTW, I did close and relaunch Logseq.

Thanks for the amendment. This is what I get:

on the basis of this:

I have amended the custom.css file too.

@Ngungu if you remove the class: “right” part the image is rendered correctly, right?

This is very strange because we are just adding a class, not editing the link in any way. And your result is the same of a broken link.

OK. so what is happening is that if I drag the image from the assets folder onto Logseq, it is rendered correctly, and with{:class "right"} added it is pushed to the right.

But the text is not wrapped around it.

@Ngungu you need to write the image reference and then the text on the same line. Does it work with this tip?

Yep, that works.
Many thanks for your help and the code.

1 Like

Side question: what font are you using in the screenshot? It looks quite well.