Allow non-outline (freeform) text

That kind of works, but it also hides all bullets in Linked References.

what if you replace the previous rules with :

div[level="2"] > div > div > a .bullet-container .bullet {
   background-color: transparent !important;
} 

?

2 Likes

That does seem to work. Thanks a lot!

oh gosh @cannibalox maybe you can work your magic to solve this Better Block / Page embed view · Issue #1142 · logseq/logseq (github.com) ?

@scurra you’re welcome
@Tony replied in your other thread

Thank you again @cannibalox

may I bother you with a follow up question ?

is it possible to selectively hide the bullets? e.g. for #+BEGIN_TIP ? it wld be v. cool to have those showing without the bullet

1 Like

@scurra i just discovered ‘t e’ which, I think, will do what you want

I don’t exactly know what it does but does seem to remove/disable outline completely, which is not what I want.

it is just a way to “free write” when “enter” will be like “shift enter” and new blocks are created using “Alt Enter”

so if you usually write more “paragraphs” than simple ideas it might be ideal for you

from what I understood it is exactly what you need.

I might be wrong

sorry for the late reply… No, currently it’s not possible to target these blocks, as the .admonitionblock class is applied only to the tip block, not its bullet, so there is not way to select that bullet.
I’ve made a feature request here Propositions to empower css mods: , you can upvote, as this should help to solve your issue and more

1 Like

Hi cannibalox and thanks for the solution you already suggested a few months ago.

Do you see a chance for a css hack that fades out the bullet point if the block contains a ---
If that would be possible I would really appreciate any hint/help.

Thanks
Chris

Hi Chris. You should be able to press “t” “d” to activate document mode. Hopefully this is what you are after. The document mode is under development to improve it.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply.

I am used to outliners (used and still use Checkvist heavily) and like the bullet points. So I don’t want to get rid of all the bullet points but only for blocks that I use as a seperator ---

This way I could separate the “ideas” similar to the example scurra initially posted. It is simply an aesthetic attempt because I really find the bullet point in front of the horizontal line “ugly”.

I am very bad at hacking css and don’t know if this even would be possible.

3 Likes

I think @scurra says it best with:

‘Outline vs freefrom’ definitely feels like a false dichotomy, and I personally would love not to be forced to have everything as bullet points! For me, non-linearity (mentioned on first line of the README) is both inter-nodal and intra-nodal :globe_with_meridians:

I appreciate the the team have so far heavily invested into the outlining paradigm, and that it would bring complexity to satisfy our desire. But it’s seems we aren’t the only ones :busts_in_silhouette:

I can’t think of genius solution right now… I’ll sleep on it.

1 Like

I’m thinking that there could be a document type that is marked by a document level property: type: text or something like that, which turns off outline features for that document. Wikilinks and embeds could still work, but other outlining features might be turned off for such documents. I feel that the t d mode isn’t very useful, but something like this might make long form writing in Logseq a little better? Just a thought…

3 Likes

So I slept on it :sleeping: and thought about it :thinking:

I believe the ‘issue’ can be broken down into two points:

1. the editor does not display raw text
  2. outliner hyphens are automatically added

Subissue 1 prevents the user from seeing the ‘outliner hyphen’, used to indicate the block. (It also hides whitespace, but I’ll ignore that for now.) Not being able to access the raw text means one can’t directly remove the outliner hyphen, except for backspacing to the previous block then newlining (shift + enter). Not being able to see the raw text goes against the point of the markdown format in the first place, IMO.

Subissue 2 somehow feels easier, since the functionality already exists in Logseq. It could, for example, be solved with an option to switch the default behavior of enter (new block) and shift + enter (new line)

@Luhmann my issues with your proposal to add a document level property are: that I would have to set this for each document, and that it would introduce ‘Logseq-specific’ metadata to documents that otherwise wouldn’t need it. I do, however, like the proposal to use the existing t d document mode as a vessel for required changes! :smiley: (Also, is there a list where the ‘advanced’ t x shortcuts are listed? I couldn’t find one so far.)

1 Like

Subissue two can be achieved by adding

:shortcuts 
 {:editor/new-block          "shift+enter"
  :editor/new-line           "enter"}

… to your logseq/config.edn ! :tada: (There is a shortcut section, starting for me at line 79, with examples) This successfully reverses the default behavior, to make enter perform a carriage-return/newline, and shift-enter to make a outliner block.

A new note still begins with an outliner block, but once manually removed, the document remains as freeform text, until a heading is added, at which point blocking is retroactively added. Still, closer!

2 Likes

LIke @Ed_Nico said, you can press t d (non-editing mode) to toggle the document mode, which has some tweaks for freeform writing.

1 Like

Hi all!

I’d like to use logseq as an outliner, like one can use Word (in the good sense now).

So, if I have a file like this:

# This is h1

Some text

## This is h2

Text under h2

## Another h2

Some text

It should render as:
not as:

Note, that this rendering went through a great progress!

However, if I format the text in Logseq, the markdown file turns to this:

- # This is h1

Some text
        - ## This is h2
          collapsed:: true

Text under h2
        - ## Another h2
          collapsed:: true

Some text

Could I somehow produce bulletless headers? Or at least could we have rendered the first markdown sample “right” (so h2s are under h1?)

1 Like

You could render the above H2, H3, H4, etc with increasing indents using Logseq custom.css feature. You can have them even bulletless (actually transparent invisible bullets for UX reasons). I’m not expert in that, but the guys in Logseq Discourse #custom-themes are.