Convert Block to a Page

Existing Github request, not created by me: Convert block to page · Issue #554 · logseq/logseq · GitHub

As the issue notes, there is a similar request here, but it is more general: Moving a block to another page/location, or converting it to a page (and vice versa)

This request focuses on the ability to turn a block into a page:

1. Create a new page containing the block
  2. Where the block was originally, add a link to the new page
  3. Update any other references to the original block

It’s a typical scenario when I use logseq for diary: sometimes an idea come into my mind, I dump a lot of text in the diary page. After sorting it out, I need to manually convert this topic (block) into a page:

• create a new page with [[]]
  • cut this topic, and paste it into the new page
  • press alt-left to return diary page

It would be great if there is a context menu automating this operation, like this:

1 Like

+1 for this. In RemNote this is achieved using the ‘Move’ command. This opens up a search box to find the page to move the content to with the default of hitting return without selecting a target page to make the content a new page in it’s own right.

In addition, once the new page is made an embed to the new page is added to the original page in place of the moved content which is actually pretty nice as well.

3 Likes

+1. Easy feature to implement (at least the MVP), and impacts user experience a lot.

I like mem.ai’s philosophy of “just start typing any time” without worrying about where I know it goes or how it is related to others. Logseq it’s already halfway there with its daily journal being the home base. This feature of easily being able to move a block from the home base to its own page will be an excellent upgrade.

My blocks tend to grow in size over time as I start to add details to them. I would be nice to be able to create a new page with all items that are part of the block via a right-click menu.
Ideally all block references would be retained and linked to the new page.
Currently my workflow is the copy the block, create a new page, add all detail, and relink all block references to the new page.

Forgive my ignorance, I am new to these realms. Why not simply wrap the block heading in brackets after indenting the page contents in place?

1 Like

That would mostly work. You can link to it, search for it, etc. But the meta-data of an inline block is not the same as the meta-data of a page, so querying and external tools make creating separate pages preferable

1 Like

Thanks, I knew that there was some more to that one. While most of it could supposedly be overcome by manual front-matter editing, having the system do these things is the beauty of it all.

With multiple large blocks on a single page, things become a little unwieldy. Just bracketing the block heading doesn’t solve this. Begin able to create a page from a block would really help in the ability to re-organize things without breaking backlinks and a lot of extra work.

1 Like

Hey, I do this on regular intervals. Right now, I create a new page by adding brackets as @mat_rhein said, shift+click to open it in sidebar and cut-paste children.
It’s a bit of a chore but infrequent enough for me that I didn’t create request.

1 Like

I’m still conflicted when to use blocks or pages. Logseq allows for block references, but arguably they are not as flexible as page references, so as a rule of thumb, I start with a block (e.g. an article I’ve read). If I find myself referring to the article from other places, I promote it to a page (and move block properties to page-properties). Is this a common workflow?

Personally, I would find it very useful to have an option to do this automatically:

• Right click on the block would allow to “promote it to a page”. The title of the page would be the first bullet in the block.
  • All the block properties should be converted to page properties
  • Any block reference to the block should be converted into references to the new page.

Any thoughts?

3 Likes

I also start most of my notes as blocks in a writing-inbox. After some review, I will decide if that note is worth keeping. When it is, I turn them into a page. I have done this manually in Logseq, so it would be nice to have this feature.

3 Likes

This is really an essential feature. It often happens that a block, over time, becomes important enough to merit a page status.

3 Likes

Let me add an example use case. Say you want to write a book. Make a page with blocks detailing the line of argument for each section/chapter. When this settles down, progressively change the blocks to pages (preferable with the option of keeping the original block as a reference to the newly spawed page). Voilà: a book.

Then of course we need spiffy (pandoc-aided) export to LaTeX, with references becoming clickable links in the output PDF, and so on, but that’s another topic.

4 Likes

Logseq with big pages is so slow that this will help to decompose such pages in a way that can improve the performance. My vote.

1 Like

The way I’ve seen it done in Roam, which works in Logseq too is:

If you haven’t already, create the page title and nest all the content under it.
Surround the page title with [[ ]] thus making it a page.
Go to the page: the “content” of the page will be in the references. If you want to bring the content into the page rather than leaving it in the original source then drag and drop it from the references. The page you’ve created will, by definition, be linked from the original source.

2 Likes

For me I prefer it take all sub bullet and automaticaly add it to the page. If I just whant to create a page link only i’ll use [[

Thanks for explaining, but that’s quite a long procedure, and I assume a simple command ‘Promote block to page’ should be possible.

1 Like

Agreed - it is, and promote block to a page has my vote.

It would need to handle duplicate page titles - perhaps by appending to the existing page?

Not sure how block properties would work in that instance.

What is different for page and block ?
Actually, the page and block make new user confused.
because in Workflowy or Remnote, there’s no difference between page and block.

1 Like