Eliminate the concept of pages

I happen to like the page setup. I see the pages as a compilation of the various blocks I’ve created over time. I would have to see an alternative and try it to determine if I would like it.

2 Likes

In the Logseq DB Alpha it seems the name for page has changed to Node, this got my years of using Logseq brain confused to no end when I got started. And then nodes have types it seems.

If I look at All pages (that should be renamed to All Nodes I think) I see nodes with different types, like Tag, Page, Property, Journal

Taking that into account, I do like the Page setup. I’m currently thinking on the whole pages vs block debate and mentally changing to should something be in the journal or in a topic.

So a book is it’s own node with a tag #book and quotes, notes and thoughts on it are in my journal and link to the node.

This initially did my head in, because I’m used to always just add to my journal and use block embeds. But as I used this things improved, as now I’m either logging stuff (hello journal) or I’m adding notes to a specific topic (hello ctrl+k search node)

From my experience with it. It seems to make things simpler, but I need to get it into a video to really fully grasp it and boil it down to it’s core points.

1 Like

There are still pages and blocks but they are also called “nodes”. It’s to avoid saying “page/block”.

2 Likes

That explains, so it’s nodes all the way down. Thx for clearing that up.

2 Likes

And will they have some behaviour difference once they’re calle “node” within the DB version?

Yes but it’s a mess at the moment, see:

1 Like

This link elaborates a bit on their current and future efforts on having everything be a block (which they’re calling “node”):

Looks promising!

By the way, it’s interesting how similar apps tend to use similar terminology. I think Tana uses node too? And they even explicitly compare the “new tags” to “supertags” (I prefer “classes” for that, but I get that this isn’t very relatable for non-tech people).

4 Likes