Export PDF with Highlights / Save highlights to PDF file

I’d love to have a way to export PDFs with their highlights so that I can share the annotated version of the PDF with friends.

Right now, the highlights are stored separately in the PDF’s .edn file, which isn’t a format in which I’d ever share the data (though it’s really nice for personal use!).

I would love that as well : )
A WYSIWYG export would be amazing.

2 Likes

I agree! Would be nice to have some way of merging the annotations with the PDF without flattening it, kind of like the opposite of this: GitHub - ilovezfs/pdftoedn: PDF processing tool to extract document data and save it in EDN format

1 Like

will be great if Logseq can do it!

This would be such a gamechanger - great suggestion!

I’m not sure where Logseq save the pdf annotation (probably in some internal database), but it’s not stored in the pdf itself.

My use case required open pdf from both zotero & logseq, but I always annotate and take notes in Logseq, it would be great if I can see the logseq highlight in the zotero itself.

1 Like

Really much needed feature. At the moment I do highlights/annotations in PDF Expert, then import the processed PDF into Logseq just to highlight it here again, which leads to redundant work.

+1

Looking for the same feature
Highlight in Logseq or Zoetro interchangeably and the highlights should reflect in both

The use case is that I use Logseq for reading and highlight/annotating Journal paper in Logseq on the Desktop and Zotero on the Ipad

Workflow:

• Dump the PDF in Zotero with the Browser plugin
  • Create a Literature note in Logseq with the Logtero plugin and then click on the PDF link in that Lit note to open in Logseq and process
  • But when I am using the Ipad, the native PDF reader in Zotero does the job of highlighting

Unfortunately, neither of these highlights are readable by the other app

2 Likes

I am very glad to share all of you above that this feature can be achieved through another plugin: Doc View Exporter with github page:Doc View Exporter.
Although you have to first generate a html file first, but the annotations will also be printed out and you can have a try on this.

1 Like

Hi Hao, that sounds really good. How can we install and use it? Do you have a instruction video maybe?

Sorry I don’t see how this plugin allows you to export a PDF with the highlights

1 Like

You can find it in the plugin store of Logseq

1 Like

The plugin can be used to export a html file first and then using some print function of Google Chrome and pdf can be generated.

1 Like

Mac Users: You can just open the .pdf stored in LogSeq’s file system in preview and then highlight from there so that it remains with the page and is able to be exported but, yes, this means you have to back through your highlights to create LogSeq-compatible links and this is rough/not good. This is my current (redundant) workflow so, yes, I support this improvement here. (I guess Acrobat Reader can be used too but opening files in preview on mac is very fast and native to Macs without an additional app.)

Sorry, can you expand more on this topic? I’m currently trying to work this out in order to highlight in pdf trough the Mac Preview app and easily export to Logseq…

Your plugin only exports the current page as HTML and then pdf. The discussion here is about how to export the marked pdf asset.

I am also currently looking for this function!
For example,it would be great if we print or export the marked pdf from logseq.

Hi LogSeqers, do we have a way to re the highlighted text from pdf to logseq ? I have used logseq to highlight the text, but I accidentally deleted it & now unable to export the highlights again to the logseq page.

I would love this .Very essential thing.

I would love this as well. Logseq is fantastic and the only thing that needs some work is the export functionality.