Hi, AO from Scandinavia

Hey, all. I’m a associate professor researching literacy at a university (and a musician, could never decide which was more important). As with many others here, I guess, I love the return to the interlinkedness of organizing knowledge and ideas that pushed me to study texts in digital media in the first place, and I’m currently testing different solutions for managing my writing (Obsidian, Roamresearch and Logseq).

I like the idea of open source and not locking your notes to a given software package, and I really hope that Logseq will continue to develop, as I like what I see so far. My only concern is to spend a lot of time with my ideas, literature and writing in a system that’s not going to last more than a couple of years – dont’t like the idea of having to migrate notes, re-establish connections, getting used to new workflows etc every few years.

4 Likes

Welcome!

Looks like I’m testing the same apps that you are :blush:I also have the same concern about investing a lot of time and effort into a tool and having it fade away. Hopefully that wont be the case here!

1 Like

Hey @boanerges,

Really interesting background.

I get you I’m really excited for Logseq. I’m the creator of the Obsidian Power User Course and as awesome as Obsidian is, it has certain limitations that don’t allow it for me to be the only tool I use. Particularly I really enjoy tasks management in Logseq, and I do think it’s possible for Logseq to become an all in one tool.

I also made a video on logseq, discussing why I think it’s a great replacement for Roam Research

Regarding the future of Logseq as a tool will be around for a long time I think it comes down to a solid business model which I recently wrote about in here

What is Logseq's business model? - #2 by santi

I’m really excited for Logseq’s development and I’d highly recommend you invest yourself in it.

I do get your frustration with having to migrate your notes from one tool to another. That is a really good point that I’d like to discuss more in my videos in the future.

It’s a valid concern and I think there’s some interesting pros and cons to migrating that I’d like to explore.

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

thanks, Santi – I actually watched (and enjoyed) your video earlier today :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks, Sarah_Arminta, and yeah, here’s to hoping :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey that’s awesome, appreciate the support!

Hey, welcome and thank you for trying logseq! The main reason we open source logseq and work directly with md/org files is to make it continue to work for the next several decades :smiley:
I love this quote a lot from https://twitter.com/Jermolene, the author of Tiddlywiki,

TiddlyWiki will die when the last person speaks its name. Right now there’s a chorus of voices lifting the project, and let’s hope that will long continue

It’s same to us too.

5 Likes

your videos are always enlightening learned a lot from you re Obsidian.

1 Like

thanks a lot! @KaneDodgson I do remember talking in the obsidian forum at some point! I appreciate the support! it’s great to see you in this forum too!

@santi, as I’m roaming (muahaha) between different apps and services, I’m wondering if you could shed some light on Logseq vs other services such as Roam/Obsidian. I’m using Obsidian for the most, but tend to like the workflow in Roam/Logseq better. Particularly Logseq attracts me, for the open source reasons, as well as for the possibilities to having files both local and in the cloud.

Are there anything on the radar that should worry me when it comes to investing my time and efforts into Logseq for my book/article notes, research notes etc? Shifting between tools is a hassle, and I just want to be in a safe place when it comes to longevity of the tool/service, development speed, bug fixes etc.

Hey great suggestions, the first Logseq video I made mostly presented Logseq as a roam alternative, but it’d be good like you say to make more videos comparing tools. I’m super interested in seeing Logseq vs Obsidian since I know that’s one that a lot of people struggle with. ( personally use both heavily)

I honestly think both Obsdian and Logseq are excellent at longevity and future proofing. I’d like to explore the pros and cons of each.

but just from my thoughts at the moment exploring Logseq extensively, I think it’s safe to say it’s a good idea to invest yourself in Logseq, it’s only gonna get better and I have a lot of trust in it.

Plus having .md files is one of the best things we can do to preserve our writings and of course Obsidian and Logseq are great at that. To be honest as much as I think Roam Research is an excellent product, it’s definitely the weakest on this crucial aspect.

1 Like