Hi August 2022 sprinters, let's introduce ourselves!

This learning sprint took place in August 2022. As it’s a self-paced course, we invite you to go through the materials and participate in the #queries subforum. Post your answers to the challenges in the designated threads, search the forum if you have questions, and create a new thread if you can’t find an answer.

Hi Logseqers! :wave:

Are you ready to rediscover your graph? In the coming weeks, you’ll learn everything you need to know to ask your notes questions and power your personal workflows. We’ll start on Monday, August 22nd.

In July, over 150 people signed up to participate in the three-week learning sprint. We first dove into how to design personal learning projects, then we wrestled with query logic, and finally, we wrote our first queries. We never got to advanced queries as the simple queries stumped enough people.

The July sprint was a valuable learning experience and many shared their insights in the forum. But with the lessons from July, I want to make the chances of succeeding much higher in August.

What changes this sprint

In the August learning sprint, we’ll only cover simple queries. If you were looking forward to learning about Datalog, I’m sorry. There are some great resources about advanced queries available, but they deserve their own sprint/course. For now. we’ll stick to the basic query logic that will help power 95% of people’s use cases.

This learning sprint will also be much more structured. How? By making it a email-based course. This means you’ll get one lesson in your mailbox, Monday through Friday. As the learning sprint will be two weeks, you’ll get a total of 10 lessons. And because learning is social, we’ll post every lesson to the forum and ask you to share all of your questions and insights.

Here’s what’s ahead between Monday, August 22nd, and Friday, September 2nd:

Week 1: Learn

In the first week, we’ll dive deep into Logseq’s basic data structure (outlines and links) and how to use this structure to search our notes.

You’ll start by doing simple exercises to apply what you learn. And to make sure we’re all on the same page, we’ll provide you with a practice graph.

As you learn more about the basic building blocks of Logseq, you’ll start to dream about what’s possible. Through writing prompts that we’ll provide, you’ll solidify what you learn and start building a personal knowledge base about Logseq queries.

Week 2: Build

After a weekend’s rest, we’ll return to our notes from the first week and build something useful.

What are you dreaming of building? On the first day of this second week, you’ll share what you want to build and form co-learning groups.

Don’t know what you want to build with your newfound query knowledge? During the second week, you’ll get a daily build challenge in your email inbox.

Introduce yourself!

To get things started and connect with people who have similar learning goals, introduce yourself by replying to this post.

Here are some writing prompts that will help you to introduce yourself:

• How long have you been using Logseq, and how often (daily, weekly, selfdom)?
  • What do you use Logseq for at this moment?
  • What’s your current knowledge about Logseq queries?
  • What do you want to build with Logseq queries? (workflows, indexes, just search your graph)?

These are just some guiding questions. Have a look at the Learn Logs from the July participants for inspiration for your introduction and your learning goals.

2 Likes

Hello,

I’ve been using Logseq for several months now and the more I learn, the more I absolutely love it!

Right now, I’m using Logseq to integrate my Bible Studies. I’ve been working working on various iterations of how best to do that, and July’s Logseq Sprint helped me immensely because I was able to adapt what others shared about using abbreviations [for example, using Q: at the beginning of a block in order to query on Questions] into setting up my hierarchies.

Through July’s Sprint I was able to glean ideas and a better understanding of the various ways queries, hierarchies, properties, etc. can be used in combination to create workflows, indexes, etc.

I look forward to expanding my understanding of these methods of making Logseq a better app than just a place to take notes.

Thank you, Ramses, for your time and efforts in putting these Sprints together.

While it may not have looked like as many people took advantage of the July’s sprint as signed up, I’m sure many did participate in the background. I myself prefer to stay in the background and absorb what I can from others, especially when I’m fairly new Logseq and it’s myriad of potential and possibilities. I do try to share what I’ve learned, both here in the forum and in the discord, but my knowledge is still limited, but it is growing.

Thank you for these Sprints - they’ve been extremely helpful!

3 Likes

Hello,

I use logseq for work and have started using it as a daily personal journal. I want to use logseq to improve my recollection, I think that using queries could save me some time.

2 Likes

Hi, I’ve been using Logseq for two weeks.

I’ve used Logseq every day since I found it. I’ve spent most of the times so far setting it up, learning about it, and trying to figure out how best to structure things so that I have an environment that encourages me to use it, and to engage in the projects, routines, tasks, habits, etc., that are important to me (I am Autistic, so routine and a certain level of predictability are extremely important for me; without them, I flounder and am not able to attend to the things that I want or need to attend to).

So I’m starting out by thinking about what’s most important to me, and what are the areas of life where I feel particularly frustrated with my inability to establish and maintain certain habits and routines that I know will be good for me and make it more likely that I will actually work on the things I think about working on. One of my biggest challenges is that I need more structure, and I need a way to hold myself accountable. I am disabled and unable to work full time. I have had one for-hire position since I became disabled, but mostly, I rely on contract work, so self-motivating is very important for me, but I’m not good at it. So I really need to proactively create structure for myself.

I feel right now like Logseq is a promising framework in which to build a portal for the structure that I want to establish.

I just started looking at queries and haven’t used them much at all. I am familiar with the general concepts behind databases, and have some experience with various flavors of SQL. I get why/how databases are used, and the role of queries in making meaningful use of the data stored in them. What I don’t have right now is the specific knowledge about syntax and schema that I need in order to use Logseq queries.

I am hoping to use queries to help me manage and recollect the bits and pieces of disparate information that I come across in my work, and to be able to access it all in whatever my current thought-process context is. For example, if you have a Ven diagram of “All things tech related” and “social justice, with a focus on Disability Justice,” most of my work is located in the crossover between the two, which almost always boils down to issues of accessibility. Most of my work is for small, underfunded non-profits, or individuals, and the issues/resolutions vary considerably from one to the next. What information / knowledge / experience / collaborators I need to focus on, and how they are inter-related, depends on the particular blend of tech-related and equity-related concerns that are driving the current project. The task at hand could be as simple as helping a yoga teacher do an accessibility audit on their website or as complicated as a long-term project that includes both assessment and overhaul of the the tech-related environment, as well as training and encouraging a shift in the cultural environment.

I hope that all makes sense, and pertains to the info you are looking for. I tend to get too wordy, and don’t quite know how to edit it down to what is important for neurotypical people to get my intended message; I tend to err on the side of too much info, so I apologize if this is way too long.

2 Likes

Hi Ramses and everyone else, I’m looking forward to joining you all in the coming weeks!

I have been using Logseq since late April, and up until now, I’ve been using it to manage notes from my reading and research related stuff.

2 Likes

Hi all. Nice to join the course and hopefully will able to know deeper Logseq, so can gain more efficiency on daily work.

Experienced Logseq since early Feb. Still exploring the better way to use it, but so far feeling good. Wish to know if there is possibility to build it as a group collaboration tool.

Can’t wait to start the sprint!

–Nelson

2 Likes

Hi everyone. Looking forward to learning more about queries. I’ve been using Logseq for about 4 months now, after having utilized Roam for about a year. Main reason to move was the more rapid advancements, and especially the ability to keep all information localized on my own server. As for usages, mostly a mix of journaling and data gathering as my “second brain” (yes, I’ve been in Tiago Forte’s BASB cohorts) for technology data gathering and linking of ideas and concepts. I’ve been in the computer industry for 40+ years, designing and innovating around new technology areas. Logseq is a great tool to assist in such activities.

-Lee

2 Likes

I’ve been using Logseq for about a week. I’m using it for class notes, personal notes and information that I collect online. Much of the information from all of these sources I use in support of personal software development projects. As a retiree, I clearly have no work usage.

I’ve used DEVONthink for probably 20 years, and have never really gotten the hang of it—partly because it’s sufficiently complex that I’ve never been able to hone in on the right subset of features to use consistently. I have liked the idea of Roam, but would never pay for it. Obsidian makes me work to hard to figure out where to put things (that’s also a problem with DEVONthink).

I know nothing about Logseq queries beyond using simple single word text search. I intend to use queries to retrieve details about software functions/languages/environments that are relevant to my current needs, looking up maintenance records on house and cars and refreshing my memory on any of the other random bits of information I jot down over time.

2 Likes
  • How long have you been using Logseq, and how often (daily, weekly, selfdom)?
    • I’ve been using Logseq since January at least weekly, but often daily.
    • I use Logseq for planning (project, daily, and weekly), taking notes for books and courses, and journaling.
    • Pretty much non-existent
  • What do you want to build with Logseq queries? (workflows, indexes, just search your graph)?
    • Since I’m using Logseq for project planning, I hope to implement similar views to a tool like Things 3. For instance, I’d like to be able to add tasks to a project and have a tasks page that shows what scheduled tasks are overdue
2 Likes

Perhaps slightly off-topic, but is there a schedule for the August sprint? I would love to block my calendar from now…

As mentioned in the email on Monday, this will be a self-paced course. There will be two live lectures, but those are streamed to YouTube so you can watch them back later. The social part of the course will be asynchronous via this forum.

1 Like

Hi everyone,

Amir here. I’m looking forward to learning a lot about Logseq and how it can complement RemNote and Obsidian because I’ve seen people using them all for maximum learning and productivity.

1. How long have you been using Logseq, and how often (daily, weekly, selfdom)?
    I just started using Logseq today.

2. What do you use Logseq for at this moment?
    I intend to use it for journaling, planning, and maybe taking some technical notes.

3. What’s your current knowledge about Logseq queries?
    I only know simple search.

4. What do you want to build with Logseq queries? (workflows, indexes, just search your graph)?
    I want to build workflows.

Thank you

2 Likes

Hi all. Using logseq since…I don’t know, maybe January. Before that…

Logseq > Amplenote** > Roam* > NVAlt > IAWriter > I don’t remember anymore

*roam is a terrible product made by people i don’t like very much anymore and i got a refund on my “believer” payment but i’m glad it set me on this path and appreciate the dent they made in the world.

**amplenote is an amazing product made by thoughtful people but the workflow is too strict for me

Here are some writing prompts that will help you to introduce yourself:

mostly everything, i run a company and blend work + personal in the same graph

i can stumble my way around the forums and discord to piece together what i need to do, but never from scratch. i don’t think in queries yet.

more scoped to-do systems for myself → my work and my family projects

1 Like

Hi, my name is Pierre. I have been using Roam Research for 2 years. Now I use Logseq and have been using it for 5 months. I use it for all my research. Mastering queries or at least getting better with queries will permit me to get the most of my database. Can’t wait to start this sprint and read about your experiences.

2 Likes

Hey guys, I am Felix and I use Logseq for my work as a Tv-Journalist. After being a heavy Workflowy user for several years, I used obsidian for quite some time and now found my home in Logseq. That was one year ago and I am totally happy with it. Now I want to get deeper into queries since I sometimes need too much time to find what I am searching for…,

1 Like

Hey everyone,

I’m Chris, I might be using Logseq daily for about 2 months now, though I’ve been aware of it for about a year. I use it for daily journaling and for my attempts to implement a Zettelkasten. The rest of my knowledge management (especially project management) happens in Notion from which I made the partial switch, and Zotero for academic sources and pdfs in general.

As mentioned, I’m trying to get a functional Zettalkasten-ish system going on in Logseq. That mostly means being able to easily take notes (I love the Zotero and Readwise plugins) and create connections on the fly while having a trusted workflow for processing the ideas I generate this way. Even with my very basic proficiency with queries, I think I’m able to get about 80% of the Logseq part of this working note (largely thanks to @thatgothlibrarian’s guide), so I actually struggle more with the behaviors to get the system going (i.e. wrestling with questions like What should I turn into a note? How atomic do I want the notes to be? What properties and tags do I need? etc.)

I’m slowly starting to work on my Master thesis and I’d like to start writing a blog, so I really hope to figure it all out soon and be able to rely on the system to help me make the process as enjoyable and effective as possible.

1 Like

Hi all!

I have been using Logseq daily for a few weeks, and have just finished migrating from WorkFlowy (Roam before that). Logseq is exactly what I have been looking for, especially being able to have my graph stored locally. WorkFlowy and Roam are great tools, but are totally dependent on Internet connectivity, which I don’t always have travelling to remote areas without cell coverage,

I use Logseq for journaling, PKM, project, and task management.

I know very little about Logseq queries, but am keen to learn.

I want to use Logseq queries primarily for project and task management, so that I can filter out tasks that are not yet due, and only see specific groups of tasks on my daily journal page (e.g. Overdue, and due today (grouped by priority), next 7 days high priority, etc.) I also want to discover what else I can do with queries that I am not yet aware of. I’m really looking forward to this course!

1 Like

Hi august sprinters,
I am now retired, but with still too little time to do everything I set out to do. My last position was manager of innovation. I was allowed to get involved in Building Information Modelling. I am now 69 and still have a zero hours contract with my former employer.
I help my wife with her hobby. She makes and decorates doll’s houses. With Freecad I design 3d objects for that, which are printed with a 3d printer. With a scanner, Inkscape and Gimp I create the patterns, which are cut out by my 10w laser cutter. I have also started a course in Python. If I turn out to be good at that, then I may be able to do jobs over the Internet. On the Internet, they don’t ask me about my age.
I was a big user of Onenote. Due to a synchronization problem, I lost many notes. Microsoft offered no help with that. From that moment on I started looking for a suitable replacement. Coincidentally, in February of this year, I was introduced to PKM via an event of the platform for information professionals (KNVI). Through Martijn Aslander I first heard the enthusiastic stories about PKM in the Netherlands. Because after my disaster with Onenote I wanted to keep full control over my own data, they put me on the track of Logseq.
I started using Logseq right away. There is a lot of material on the Internet, but I was missing the overarching story. I saw many solutions to problems, which I neither knew nor understood. Fortunately, I then enrolled in Dario da Silva’s Logseq Mastery course. I completed the Tutors section and in the Workflows & Systems section I had 65%. I can highly recommend this course to anyone who wants to start with Logseq. The course has given me insight into the framework of the possibilities and my options. I can now follow problems on Youtube with their solutions and judge for myself whether something has added value for me.
After consulting with Dario I have registered for the Logseq Query Sprint. I think it is a pity that the advanced queries are not treated. However, I do not want to miss the attention that Ramses Oudt gives to learning as well.

2 Likes

Hi everyone. I’m looking forward to learning about Logseq and queries with the community.

I’m a new user to Logseq, having only used it for a couple of days, though I’m familiar with softwares like Obsidian, Roam (which I’ve barely used), Dynalist, etc. I’ve been using Logseq daily for the past few days as I maintain a daily log and experiment with the features, limitations, and structures of Logseq.

I primarily use Logseq as both a daily journal/log and a means of building/connecting notes to advance my understanding, applications, and insight. I’ll continue to use Logseq for my personal projects and study (in the fields of software dev., engineering, design, and psychology), as well as my courses.

While I’m familiar with the concept of queries themselves, I’ve yet to use Logseq’s query features, as my notes are limited in quantity as well.

A part of what I may want to build is limited as my knowledge of Logseq queries is incomplete, but I hope to use queries to enhance my workflows, maintain good indexes for actively developing notes or current projects, as well as understand my database.

Ramses, I want to thank you for introducing me to this opportunity. I first learned about Losgeq from the Metamuse podcast with you a couple days ago and I’m truly grateful for it. I love the core features on which Logseq operates on, as well as some of the built-in functionality (such as PDF highlights for referencing). I see Logseq as a growing community, in both plugins and people, and I’m glad to be a part of it.

2 Likes