How to create pages in Logseq

As noted in the [[introduction]], Logseq is a networked thinking tool. Because Logseq lacks a hierarchical structure like folders, you may find organizing your notes confusing at first. After all, how are you going to find back what you put into this app? That’s where links enter.

Links are entry points into your web of notes. What makes Logseq unique is that you can also point to individual paragraphs (blocks) instead of pages. In fact, pages are nothing more than a collection of blocks (paragraphs). Whereas most note-taking tools make linking to other notes a hassle, Logseq has a keyboard-first approach.

Let’s first look at how to create and link pages before diving into linking blocks in the next lesson.

How to link to pages in Logseq

Creating links to pages is simple in Logseq; you just type them! No need to use your mouse, create a page, and then point to it. If you link to a page that doesn’t exist yet, Logseq creates it for you.

There are two main ways to link to a page: [[brackets]] and #tags.

[[Brackets]]

Logseq uses wiki-style links, which means that you can type double opening brackets to create a link ([[ — Logseq will autocomplete the closing brackets):

create-page-brackets_1641571530729_0

When a page doesn’t exist yet, typing the link will create the page with that name. If the page already exists, you can select it from the dropdown menu that appears by typing the name.

#Tags

Another way to type links in Logseq is to use the hashtag symbol (#):
create-page-hashtag_1641571576887_0

The difference between bracket links and hashtags is purely cosmetic as they function the same. However, many people use them in different situations; brackets are often used for inline links, whereas hashtags are often used for metadata.

Hashtags can only contain one word, otherwise, you need to #[[wrap them between brackets]].

How to create pages with the search bar (without linking)

For completeness, let’s also have a look at how to create pages using the search bar, although we don’t recommend it (see the next page on bidirectional linking for why).

To create a page using the search bar, start typing a page name in it (use the Cmd-k (macOS)/Ctrl-k (Windows) shortcut to focus the cursor on the search bar without using your mouse). Then, select the option that starts with New Page: to create the page and open it:

These are the ways to create pages in Logseq. We recommend creating pages using links, as this will ensure an entry point for them. Nothing is worse than having no links in a networked note-taking tool, so default to linking pages.

Hi Ramses,
I have been looking to help with the documentation, as per your post here. Not sure if this post just hasn’t been made into a ‘wiki’ yet, or if I am missing something but I couldn’t figure out how to edit directly.

For this post, I noticed that it didn’t mention that users can use the button in the bottom left to also create a new page. Additionally, I know that they pages were ported over from docs.logseq.com, but I’m guessing that we don’t want [[example]] in these pages as it won’t link the same way as it did on that site? Instead, link using hyperlinks in html etc

2 Likes

Welcome to the community @arcticfox! You need to be a member for a little while before you can edit wiki posts. I’ve given you the rights now, but normally you’d need to read about a dozen posts and reply a few times before you can edit.

Good catch! This does depend on the theme, though. For example, in the theme I use (Solarized Extended) there’s no such button. The ways to create pages that I’ve described here work regardless of theme.

The reason I put [[brackets]] is to make it clear to non-technical and non-native speakers what I mean. They shouldn’t link anywhere and are just to make the syntax clear. But maybe I missed the goal as it wasn’t clear to you.

1 Like