Is there a file picker for linking local files?

I just started using logseq on linux and love it so far. I want to use the feature to link local files but find it a bit tedious to get the file path. Is there any way to use a file picker?

Welcome. If you describe the need in more detail, I may put together something, based on a read-only variation of File management from within Logseq, proof-of-concept

2 Likes

I’m using logseq to track progress on multiple projects. It is often necessary to link files on my systems that are used to create content – mainly text, word and Excel files. I want to link them since logseq is my overview over projects and I would like to open files from the project’s page. Since I intend to link files typically, the current approach of copy and pasting the path from a file manager is a bit tedious.

• How do you imagine the interface?
    • I am thinking of a tree of files on the right sidebar.
  • What options would make more sense?
    • Copy Path
    • Append Path to Current Block
    • Append Block with Path to:
      • The end of the page.
      • As sub-block to the current block.
    • etc.
  • Anything that should be customizable?
    • The look supports css anyway.
1 Like
  • How do you imagine the interface?

The right sidebar is fine, although I would prefer that logseq is spawning the OS’ file picker. The advantage of the system’s file picker is that it has bookmarks, for example.

• What options would make more sense?

I would like to use this feature mainly for [Textfile.odt](<file:///path/to/Textfile .odt>) since I want to link documents that can be easily opened from within a journal or page. This is important to me, since this way the document isn’t copied to the assets folder. I would like to link documents that are edited by multiple people and therefore need to “stay in place” where they are synchronized.

• Anything that should be customizable?

Not that I can think of currently

1 Like

On the Mac, I am using a software called Hookmark to do exactly that. It allows you to „hook“/link files. I am not a Linux user, but maybe something similar exists there?

2 Likes

Here you go: File picker for linking local files

2 Likes

Thanks a lot! I’ll give it a go on the weekend. Is there any chance that this will become a plugin in the marketplace?

Technically it is easy to convert it to a plugin. But plugins have some disadvantages, that make me avoid them.