Issue: Part of my page has disappeared

Hi everyone,

I have a graph that’s stored in a OneDrive folder. I have a page called “Meeting Notes” where I add the date and put all the notes for that date. I only use this graph on a single Windows laptop.

After I updated my Logseq installation to 0.9.1 from 0.8.x and re-indexed the graph, my meeting notes page only displayed notes up to Friday, March 10th, but I have added a number of notes since. I’m at a loss of what to do.

I’ve checked the backups in the bak folder, and they all stop at March 10th. There’s only one duplicate of the page in the folder with a crswap extension (from Sept 28 2022). Version History doesn’t work because I didn’t enable git.

The journals haven’t been affected, so I’m not sure what’s going on…

I managed to restore my note by going to OneDrive online and downloading a previous version. Still very odd that the page’s backups were all the same.