Links as a first class citizens for Personal Knowledge Graphs

I have a article about it Personal Knowledge Graphs: The Sovereign You in a Web of Information | by Volodymyr Pavlyshyn | Sep, 2023 | Medium
Just in short

The Genesis of Personal Knowledge Graphs

The concept of Personal Knowledge Graphs is relatively new but has its roots in the broader field of Knowledge Management Systems. These systems have evolved over the years, from simple note-taking apps to complex platforms that allow for the interlinking of information. The video mentions that the first personal knowledge graph system was designed by a German sociologist named Luman in the 1970s. He used a simple shoebox and pieces of paper to create a system of interlinked nodes, effectively creating the first Personal Knowledge Graph.

Why Personal Knowledge Graphs Matter

Personal Knowledge Graphs are not just for tech giants like Google or insurance companies that collect data to optimize their services. They are for individuals who want to take control of their data and information. The graphs allow for a more natural representation of knowledge, making it easier to find connections and derive new insights.

The Evolution of Tools

First Generation

The first generation of tools focused on note-taking but lacked the ability to create relations between notes. Information was siloed in different apps, making it difficult to see the bigger picture.

Second Generation

The second generation, exemplified by tools like Roam Research, introduced the concept of links and backlinks. This allowed for the creation of a more interconnected graph of nodes, revolutionizing the way we think about note-taking and information management.

Notable apps

• Roam research
  • Obsidian
  • logseq

Third Generation

The third generation, which is still emerging, aims to leverage artificial intelligence to work directly with the graph. This will allow for more complex queries and the ability to derive new information from existing relations. We have a big hope for AI agent that will help to create and mantain a PKG for user from a endless data streams. We have a too technical tools for Knowledge Graphs

• RDF and Linked data
  • SPARQL
  • Semantic data

All this is powerful instruments but to technical for user.

I play with Logseq - it is look like we don’t need SPARQL we just need to have a way to add a metadata like caption , direction , tags and properties to a link and use this metadata in a graph view .
We could turn Logseq to a third generation PKG tool that do not exist in a open access

You can already export a Logseq graph as RDF:

1 Like

I’m not sure I understand it right.
It seems you just need to add properties to any page as:

• child
  • parent
  • sibling

It helps to know the context of pages relating to the current, so AI might get this information to make an answer

noop i wqant to add a caption and type of relation and build something like concept map

Yep it is cool but i want to be able to create a specific relations and links

@vpavlyshyn if you mean semantic triples it’s what RDF is all about and in Logseq we use Properties for that:

Page
key:: value

- Block
  key:: value

where key is the label of the relation and value can be a page or block reference.

Once you export the graph as RDF you can feed a LLM like Llama with it and query your graph like you would with ChatGPT:

3 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH_gwM60xgE more about Personal Knowledge Graphs