Logseq and boundaries

I was just reading an MIT Technology review article about people who use Notion for everything, and I came across this paragraph:

For people like Bergen who use the same app to map both their personal and work lives, there can be downsides, Touroni adds.

"The obvious benefit is that your work and personal life are likely to intersect and using the same app will take account of this for more efficient time scheduling,” she says. “The disadvantages are that it will become more difficult to create boundaries between work and home life, as you’ll be having to navigate both parts of your life whenever you use the app.”

This is the main reason why I have multiple graphs. If I’m studying, then I’m studying, I don’t want to miss-click and open the page about my self-hosted setup and then get distracted with some “simple task” or “just updating the servers”, for example.

What do you think? Do you like to have some “mega graph” with everything in it? Just a couple of graphs? Or do you like having a graph for everything?

1 Like

I don’t think I need to use multiple graph. The problem is, people who use notion having to deal with files organization. Upon navigating through the app, they may stumble upon content that they don’t want to deal at the time, if one is not skillful in organizing. But here in logseq I just search exactly the term and jump into that and I don’t need to create many graphs, unless I want to create a dedicated graph for publishing and don’t want to include my personal journal, etc. That’s just my opinion

1 Like

I’m in the “One Graph to Gather Them in, and in the Darkness Bind Them” camp. But I run several small businesses that overlap. Years ago, I was a OneNote guy and I kept different notebooks for different projects – about a dozen active at any time. What I discovered is that, for me, not having a 50,000-foot combined view of everything meant my ability to prioritize across projects/subjects became more challenged.

2 Likes

My main problem is knowledge acquired at work that I want to keep with me even after work. It happens that software development is both an hobby of mine and my job, so I want to keep track of some learning experiences.
Right now, I’m tagging everything I want to keep with #kb, but Logseq has no easy way to extract that information and import it into a different graph, which is funny because I can still query all that data, but the only decent format I can output it to is a printed PDF!

Yeah, I mainly have 2 subgraphs:

One “published” for one specific project at work, and one big graph with languages I’m studying, the notes from the master I’m coursing, and everything else. I ended up with a lot of pages in a certain namespace, and I’d like to be able to treat it like a “subgraph” (being able to open just that so I don’t have distractions).

I think that a “subgraphs” approach using namespaces would be pretty cool for publishing and collaboration (and perhaps even focusing better on the task at hand).

I have multiple graphs so I can have that distinct separation between my personal, my 9-5, and my side work.

I have an issue with staying focused, to the point where I was using an iPod Classic (I would still, but I need to repair it) to listen to podcasts, music, and audiobooks to avoid using my phone. I need my phone to be somewhat connected, but the little red dots would call to me to clear them. Oops, 30 minutes later I’m realizing I fell down a rabbit hole.

So with that explanation in mind, I keep the 3 main graphs and within them I’m working to organize each of them in a manner that makes sense for them. That is still a WIP, but I’ll get there once I get a working grasp of queries and how to best use them to make sure I’m staying on target. And figuring out how to organize projects and pages and so on. LogSeq is a very… intense? tool but it is definitely useful