Realtime sync via ipfs

it does not compare pages. Instead, it syncs the entire page containing the most recent changes

Wow, this sounds worse than my Syncthing setup with a script to automatically merge conflicting files. Why are they even bothering if they’re not going to base it all on atomic changes? I don’t quite see the value proposition.

Anyway: How is this project coming along? Are there any perspectives for using it without IPFS on some kind of self hosted infra? I’m still most interested in the CRDT part.

Agreed.

So we are definitely envisioning and hacking away on various potentially “severless” “back-end” options.

Running an ipfs node via the desktop app is pretty easy. But actually the first layer of crdt (actually sadl i prefer to call it) lives in indexeddb in the browser.

As electron is chromium based we should also be able to write the atomic data logs directly to the users file system.

dGraph, Pocketbase, surrealdb, direct P2P are all in the running once we get ipfs a more solid

Thanks for your interest!

2 Likes

Things always got tricky for file-based conflict resolution. We are trying several options for file-based diff
From user experience aspect, TX-based serving / RTC is always better than file-based, and this is why wee are developing: Trello

you bet… 1,5 years late but I am interested
How did you do that

well we did it with an applog style attribute by attribute ipfs sync scheme… but we’ve moved on

https://note3.app/

neither are really ready for prime time quite yet, but getting there…