Resources for absolute idiots

Hi everyone,

I recently started with Logseq and I love the potential it has, but I have difficulties with finding resources to explain it. I have been googling & going through the forum for hours, but I feel like all instructions are missing some basic steps for an absolute idiot like me. For example: where do you place a query?

There are lots of videos out there, but I don’t process information well when it is in video format. Does anyone know of any basic text / screenshot based resources? I am especially interested in how to work with todo’s more efficiently.

2 Likes

I am glad you wrote. I would search this community for query examples! Below is my example of how I automatically query my TO DO tasks for my daily Journal:

{:journals
[{:title [:h4 “:hourglass: Overdue”]
:query [:find (pull ?block [])
:in $ ?start ?next
:where
[?block :block/marker ?marker]
[(contains? #{“TODO”,“DOING”} ?marker)]
(or
[?block :block/scheduled ?d]
[?block :block/deadline ?d])
[(> ?d ?start)]
[(< ?d ?next)]]
:result-transform (fn [result]
(sort-by (fn [h]
(or (get h :block/scheduled) (get h :block/deadline))) result))
:inputs [:365d-before :0d-before]
:collapsed? false},
{:title “:hammer: CURRENT TASKS”
:query [:find (pull ?h [
])
:in $ ?start ?today
[?h :block/marker ?marker]
[(contains? #{“TODO” “NOW”} ?marker)]
[?h :block/page ?p]
[?p :block/journal? true]
[?p :block/journal-day ?d]
[(>= ?d ?start)]
[(<= ?d ?today)]]
:inputs [:14d :today]
:result-transform (fn [result]
(sort-by (fn [h]
(get h :block/priority “Z”)) result))
:collapsed? false}

{:title “:date: NEXT”
:query [:find (pull ?h [*])
:in $ ?start ?next
[?h :block/marker ?marker]
[(contains? #{“NOW” “LATER” “TODO”} ?marker)]
[?h :block/ref-pages ?p]
[?p :block/journal? true]
[?p :block/journal-day ?d]
[(> ?d ?start)]
[(< ?d ?next)]]
:inputs [:today :7d-after]
:collapsed? false}]}

The above query tells me if I have an overdue task and current tasks. What kind of query did you want to do?

I’ve been using Logseq for 3 weeks now, and I have a similar problem. I’ve tried looking for inspiration here on discuss by checking random threads, but I also feel that the bulk of material for new users is in videos.

As for queries: you can put them in your config (@TR-Ranch’s snippet shows something that would go into config.edn), or anywhere on a page by typing /query and pressing Enter.
I have a few queries for todos in my “Contents” page, because I can access it quickly in the side panel:

• {{query (todo NOW)}} at the top of the page, for the thing I was supposed to be working on,
  • {{query (and (todo TODO) (between -1y today))}} for things that I’ve left in the journal and need to clean up,
  • {{query (and (todo TODO) (not (between -1y +1y)))}} for things I should clean up or verify on other pages.

I use TODO in Logseq for things that need finishing or cleaning up in the graph, for general purpose task management I use other tools (tasks in google calendar, which work good on mobile, and Google Keep for shared lists - like shopping).

1 Like