Sync directly with OneDrive, Dropbox, GoogleDrive, iCloud

Hi,

At least for the paid version, I consider a must to be able to connect web, desktop apps and mobile directly to the main 4 cloud services (on top of the local option) to have the files syncronized across multiple devices.

It is a much better option for the users than work only on local and then syncronize the files, since in many cases we are forced to use different platforms, where iCloud is not suitable for example, or as in my case, I use OneDrive as a personal service but a professional account at work. By doing the connection directly with the cloud provider, everything is perfectly syncronized across all the devices.

It would make the app perfect to work at home with my Mac, at work on a web browser and on mobile with my iPhone + iPad (or an android phone)

Please consider this solution as the best one for most of the users :slight_smile:

Thanks for your great application !!

I hope that Logseq can add the option for sync directly through Onedrive, which open-souce app Joplin has made Onedrive-Sync available across the platform.

4 Likes

With the new release of iOS app in the App Store, wanted to add another vote. I have similar reasons why iCloud isnā€™t an option. Would gladly be a beta tester for OneDrive or Dropbox (or some other sync approach).

8 Likes

Stronger support. Need other clouds for sync. I have a large database on my desktop app in the OneDrive.

3 Likes

Iā€™m new to logseq - I use an iPhone plus an iMac and a PC. I canā€™t figure out how to connect all three (which is a pain in the neck). Would really appreciate being able to sync between all three or Dropbox / OneNote too.

3 Likes

Iā€™m another iPhone/iPad/Windows user who uses OneDrive as my primary file storage since it works across these platforms. +1 for OneDrive / OneDrive for Business support.

5 Likes

A challenge of which cloud provider to use will come up. Some in this thread mention OneDrive, I generally use Google Drive, and many others will use Dropbox, etc. To support them all will be a mammoth task. To support just 1 will only serve a subset.

Personally, I use Syncthing, which works great for me, but is a bit more complex than the more common options. Additionally, there is no native iOS client (Iā€™m not an iOS user), due to iOS limited capability to share Syncthing files to another app that isnā€™t the Files app.

Perhaps to get more at the root of the problem. Why is the existing local folders which can then be synced by the OndDrive, Dropbox, Syncthing, clients not good enough? How can that be improved?

If LogSeq is to provide a cloud sync, I think it should be their own, rather than a particular existing one. Another app, Moo.do (renamed to LegendApp) started by utilising Google Drive as their backend storage. They then migrated to Firebase due to issues in doing what they needed to do. For the long term view are those generic fileshare options the right ones? What if you want to do pub/sub for notifications? What if you want to do automations on schedules without needing LogSeq running somewhere?

Just some thoughts. Iā€™m not trying to dissuade cloud sync here, but raise how it can be a challenging choice.

2 Likes

Relevant Trello

1 Like

@MeasuredTiredness have you personally made SyncThing work with logseq on iOS? From what I can tell logseq cannot ā€œseeā€ the SyncThing folder. It only sees it in iCloud or on its own access to the file system.

Would be happy to poke into this more if anyone has actually made it work!

Iā€™d like to be able to sync on Synology Drive, as opposed to one of the major public cloud storage providers, for privacy reasons. I donā€™t know how this is implemented in logseq, but seems like it should be possible if itā€™s just using a folder as itā€™s presented on iOS (or whatever platform).

1 Like

+1 on Google drive. Itā€™s where all of my work related notes lives and Iā€™m using Logseq for this purpose

Google drive or Onedrive works for me. I do want to have a cloud backup option.

1 Like

I have this configured with my Synology NASā€¦ I have setup Synology Drive across many of my PCs at home and work, I also have the Android Synology Drive client installed so I can sync some of the Android folders with my NAS.

This is how I am getting Logseq to sync the Android graph with the one I use on my desktop.

1 Like

I would use Synology Drive, but I need to sync to iOS so for now Iā€™m stuck with iCloud. The feature request here (for me) is to support Synology Drive on iOS.

1 Like

On iPad, other apps can read/write to my synced folders just fine once I gave them permission (for example iSH and SecureShellFish), logseq is the only one that doesnā€™t, so maybe this is going to be possible to add. :heart:
I realize that the app is relatively new.

1 Like

in iOS cloud services can expose a file provider. Then other apps (like Logseq) can use the file provider and then treat cloud access in the same way as a local file system.

You are right, other apps do this. Why not logseq?

4 Likes

Hi. Iā€˜m syncing with Resilio Sync. Is there a technical reason why this folder doesnā€™t work? The only other app on my iPhone which refuses to use a Resilio Sync folder is, oddly enough, Obsidian.

2 Likes

I currently use Nextcloud to manage syncing between macOS, iOS, Windows, and Linux. This will probably not be relevant to most people since this setup requires a home server, but I figured I would outline it here incase people find it interesting.

To put it simply, I created my logseq graph in a folder on Nextcloud. I then installed the Nextcloud client on all of my devices.

Installing the Nextcloud app also allows you to browse itā€™s files in the iOS native files app like itā€™s a local drive, and this is what allows syncing to work.

When you install the logseq iOS app, you can use the iOS file picker to choose what directory to open. Here we just navigate to the Nextcloud drive, then to our logseq folder and open it.

This way we use Nextcloud as our database backend and leverage its syncing capabilities. This step can be repeated for Windows and MacOS as well.

4 Likes

I dont get it. How do you make a automatic sync? LogSeq uses a folder on ā€œmy phoneā€. How do you tell the ios nextcloud app to sync that local folder?

Apologies for the misunderstanding! I went back and double checked my setup and it looks like the Nextcloud iOS app doesnā€™t support opening a folder from the native files app.

Personally I use logseq as mostly a desktop app and the only logseq file I open on my phone is an org-mode file that I use for task management. If you use an org-mode task management app like beOrg, you can sync your tasks using Nextcloud+webDAV as the backend.

At the moment, if you want cloud sync to work, you will have to save your logseq graph directly to iCloud Drive and use the iOS file picker to open the folder. If you click on the browse tab at the bottom of the file picker, then click on the back button, the app will ask you if you want to use a location on your iPhone or on a cloud provider. From here you can select a folder in iCloud drive.

If you are still interested in Nextcloud support, not being able to select a folder is a known issue and heres the Github issue discussing it:

An alternative would be using Nextcloudā€™s built in webDAV server for syncing but thatā€™s a little more temperamental. I was able to connect to my Nextcloud instance from the files app but was unable to get any of the files to actually load in the logseq file picker.

You can find more information about it here:

Hope this cleared up any misunderstandings!

Cheers!