Templates - how to create, edit, and insert?

Just delete the template block

or removing the template property should work too

To find all templates

{{query (property template) }}
5 Likes

I believe the most convenient way to deal with templates is to create a dedicated file that will hold all the templates in one place (in my case I named it ls_templates.md. that way, I can easily find and edit my source templates.

note that templates can be structured bullets, but also be :PROPERTIES: (with one drawback : the order of properties is not saved) or a mix of both.

5 Likes

Completely forget all the time, some times I make templates, other times they are partially there and other times nothing. I feel like there should be a better way with templates.

4 Likes

Feature requests to improve templates:

• when Logseq asks you to name a template, show the user a list of existing templates automatically so you can better choose a name that fits with your current templates.
  • have Logseq automatically create/reserve a Logseq page called “templates” that collects and displays existing templates, also making it easier for the user to find the “home” location of all templates so they can easily review and edit existing ones
10 Likes

Thank you Cobblepot,
I appreciate your detailed template info.
Do you have any other resources or know more about Template creation
How to work with the properties, what are the limitations in creating one.
any case studies to understand on how to create the properties and use them.

Cheers
Bimal

1 Like

And how do you do that? I tried with the obvious right click (on a Mac) but there is no delete option :frowning:

And also for modifying my templates (I have a fair share of beginner mistakes in them), I change the block. Yet when I go back to /template I find the good old version there again.
Any help is appreciated :star_struck:

Looking for this exact fix. Any ideas? Sometimes I want to add new fields after I’ve created my template. It’s a bit of a pain to go to each page and update it one by one

Agree with this, it’s hard to do it right at the first. bulk edit existing template/properties may be helpful.

Thanks

Logseq really needs to implement a ;; to start looking for a template instead of the /template templateName

;;templateName is sooo much faster

The one thing other then a smooth synch (I know its coming) that I miss coming from Roam.

5 Likes

I created a template but when I select it, nothing is inserted.

screencast 2022-07-12 14-54-59

Am I doing something wrong?

Template:: should be in the same block as REFLECTION not in a sub block.
You can create a new line inside a block using shift enter.

1 Like

Thank you, that fixed it!

I’m trying to understand templates, but I have a problem and I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

I create a template for daily tasks. Logically they go from TODO to DONE. Fine, but this means that the next day, when the day appears automatically, as the day before I made modifications in the TEMPLATE, everything appears modified and with DONE.

What am I missing or doing wrong? Thanks.

This is cause you’ve actually edited the template block which is what logseq tries replicating whenever it calls the daily template. What you should ideally do is dedicate a page for templates and have them all there.

1 Like

Many Thanks, it seems that this was the problem. Thanks🙏

Hi. I would like to have a space for one of the item inside my template as shown below. May I know how can I do that? Currently it is not allowing me to do this.

1 Like

Hi everyone! Is there a way to use separate shortcut to insert a template? Right now I need to use /template and then search the template name. I would prefer to use a separate shortcut and directly type the template name. Thanks!

1 Like