Problem after upgrading Ubunto to 24.04 Noble Numbat (and workaround)

After upgrading to Ubuntu 24.04, Logseq would not start.
It shows the following message:

[8571:0523/172157.422657:FATAL:setuid_sandbox_host.cc(158)] The SUID sandbox helper binary was found, but is not configured correctly. Rather than run without sandboxing I’m aborting now. You need to make sure that /tmp/.mount_LogseqbGd1uf/chrome-sandbox is owned by root and has mode 4755.
Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

A quick fix is to start Logseq with the --no-sandbox option.

This seems to be related to this change in Ubuntu.

I guess that the sandbox is there for a good reason, so the --no-sandbox workaround is not a good solution on the long run. The “clean” solution seems to be (according to the Ubuntu Release Note linked above) to “Confine [the] applications with an AppArmor profile.” But unfortunately, my understanding of Linux kernel security is too limited to come up with such a solution.

2 Likes

FYI, AppArmor is an Ubuntu-specific thing, most distros use SELinux.

Does this happen with Logseq’s AppImage (GitHub repo > releases) and/or with Flatpak (FlatHub.org)?

I’m using the AppImage.

Can you try with Flatpak? I’ve tried to convince Logseq dev to make it the supported way to install Logseq on Linux and provide the AppImage for dev/testing purposes only (as it should be, AppImage is a very bad way to ship apps to Linux, generally used by Electron-based apps that mainly target Windows and MacOS, because Electron makes it easy to build an AppImage; Flatpak on the other hand is the proper and Freedesktop-supported way to install third-party apps like Logseq on Linux).

AppImage not working on Ubuntu would be an additional argument in favour of Flatpak, in case it works out of the box:

I just did, and I confirm that it does not suffer from the same issue as the AppImage.