Add button for page edit switch

Sometimes, a page is edited and would not be edited. A edit switch would prevent wrongful edit action.

on the other hand, an edit button would slow down the workflow. in my case, being able to edit quickly is a feature, not a problem.
maybe a lock button (or shortcut) to Prevent editing would be a better solution. so ppl who want to avoid mistakes use the lock, and we still retain the fast edit

2 Likes

I vote for this. A page tag like

readonly: true

or something like that to make a page read only and a toggle button (or manually editing the page property) should be ideal. I have some articles downloaded from internet that I want to make not modifiable by default.

1 Like

Is the request here more about not wanting to accidentally edit your own pages or about wanting to make some public pages editable and some not editable? If the latter, I agree, but if the former—is this really a significant issue for people, accidentally editing their own pages? Honestly curious.

I think that both cases. If you make a page readonly you don’t want it to be edited via Web (published) o via the Desktop app.

I would like a setting that would allow you to mark a block for editing before you can actually edit it. A bit like a modal editor / vim. This would prevent any accidental edits / deletions.

Mobile versions would benefit from this. It’s so easy to change some Iago when doing some selection. A worst case would be that you do a change and don’t notice it.
I would agree that the UI for this ID going to be more difficult that a simple button for slow editing

This is a MUST for mobile apps in my opinion.
Most mobile use case is about viewing todo or notes, not writing them, add read-only mode can prevent unwanted modification of note content.

Yes. It often happens for me, when pressing t w or similar keyboard shortcuts, which either don’t have a modifier or are chords.

In general these bindings are a good thing. A readonly mode as default and a special keyboard shortcut to enter insert mode like i in Vim would be very helpful.

A very simple usecase for a “lock editing” switch:
I have multiple blocks, each with a hyperlink. When editing a block, I see the full link which might be very long. When not editing a block, I see just the label. Now when I navigate the page using arrow keys, I don’t want every block to be expanded because it unfolds a possible multi-line super long URL which disrupts navigating through page.

Another usecase:
I have a block with inline code. When I want to copy the code, I have to click on the block. It then goes into edit mode, which is unintended and disrupts the flow.