Allow tag links with aliases to work the same as other page links with aliases

Maybe I’ve missed something and this was already proposed or discussed somewhere else. However:

Some people work in more than one language. I therefore would like to be able to assign aliases to my tags. In that way #Food would equal #Nahrung in German and #alimentation in French. Whatever the input now, it would link me to the same page.

Btw: thanks for making Logseq. I enjoy it! :slight_smile:

I’m not an expert, but here’s my understanding:

In Logseq, tags are pages, and pages can have aliases:

https://logseq.github.io/#/page/term%2Falias

With this setup, if you create a #Food tag, and then go to the ‘Food’ page, you can then create aliases like ‘Nahrung’ and ‘alimentation’. Then, when you are on the ‘Food’ page, anything tagged with #Food, #Nahrung, or #alimentation will show up as a linked referenced.

(Note, however, that if you are on some other page and click directly on a #Nahrung or #alimentation tag, that will open the ‘Nahrung’ or ‘alimentation’ page, rather than opening the ‘Food’ page. There could be an argument to be made for opening ‘Food’ when one clicks on ‘#Nahrung’, but that would be a separate feature request for how aliases work.) EDIT: Sorry, I was confused. @Cobblespot’s reply below is correct.

1 Like

I agree, but this doesn’t seem like a separate request really—OP title is misleading, but the request seems to be “Allow tag links with aliases to work the same as other page links with aliases”. @tienson what do you think of this request?

1 Like

Ah, you are right @Lucas, @Cobblepot. Thanks for your answer. I totally agree with @Cobblepot: The request really should be: “Allow tag links with aliases to work the same as other page links with aliases”.

Because, exactly, as @Lucas specified: Never mind the page I’m currently at, when I click on #Nahrung or #alimentation, I want the ‘Food’ page to be opened.

That would streamline my work in different languages immensively and be a massive time-saver. (Also, I suppose, I’m not the only one using more than one language at the same time. Some things you can translate - then the feature would be useful - others you can’t.)

Edit: I changed the title of this post from “Allow Tags having Aliases” to “Allow tag links with aliases to work the same as other page links with aliases”

2 Likes

I agree that we should treat tags and pages equally for aliases use. I’ll address this soon.

3 Likes

A fix will be included in the next release.

2 Likes

Amazing! Cool, thank you very much.

1 Like