Audio recorder option ( / )

I think audio recording by press / could be very handy and useful, maybe like that audio recorder core plugin of obsidian that will save record audio as attachment.

Yeah, and an automated speech-to-text transcript would be the icing on the cake. Especially useful on mobile, I think.

9 Likes

Agreed! I do a lot of audio notes and use Otter and Sonix to transcribe them. I made a few Zaps using Zapier to automatically save the audio files to my Loqseq Assets folder, append the txt transcription file with metadata (tags, date, linked audio file, embedded Google map using Evernote location data), convert the txt transcription file to markdown, and save to my Loqseq Pages folder.

2 Likes

Very cool solution - Google’s new (I think?) Recorder app also does this.

Interesting. Would you be able to outline your workflow for the audio notes, transcription, zaps, etc?

I actually do this on the mobile version of Logseq on an IOS app.
IOS has built-in speech to text function. In MacOS there is also a dictation function which you can turn on under preferences - keyboard.

Some people are more productive striking a keyboard, some prefer writing with their hand and some brilliant minds out there are at their best while conversing. If we believe that to be true, there are not a lot of tools out there to support the conversational way of thinking. In fact, conversations and dialogs are how philosophy and knowledge art got popularised since the ancient times.

The Problem

First off, if you’re a conversational thinker, accept it and demand better tools for transcribing and recording your thoughts such that they can become usable and whose content would end up contributing to your mind graph in Logseq.

Here are some of the difficulties with voice recordings

• They look orphaned as if there’s no metadata describing them.
    • I honestly don’t understand why that is the case. As if we are afraid to glean content from audio files.
    • I think tools like Telegram, Whatsapp and the like have made good progress in bring more context and ease of use around audio files, but it’s clearly not enough.
    • Imagine, you want to know what the audio says or have an idea as to what topic it covers.
    • Do you really have to start listening and going back and forth, in order to find out what the audio file says?
    • Why should it be such a big deal and a hefty exercise to transcribe an audio file such that you can use the content to link it to the rest of your graph?
  • Why should it be difficult to record something and cut out a piece and re-record one piece and merge it back with the original file.

This is by no means a problem of Logseq, per se. But rather how as an industry, we seldom pay attention to other forms of human computer interaction. Not everyone is comfortable with a keyboard. I don’t think it’s something nature would have wanted us to do after all these mere 100s of thousands of years of natural selection.

And I know that a combination of tools and commands and what not can be used to address some of these requirements. But really, the question is, how can we distribute a solution to these problems in a democratic way for non tech savvy folks.

1 Like

Yes! This! A one tap record, transcribe, and add to graph would be amazing.

Audio clip as a block, then the transcription as a subblock maybe?

Cherry on top would be a homescreen widget that allows this in one tap from the homescreen.

2 Likes

I think this would be great. I love it the way its handled in obsidian. So something similar would be great

I just tried Android build (apk file from github Release Desktop/Android APP Nightly Release 20221227 · logseq/logseq · GitHub ) and it has microphone button , and makes recording!

I would love this to have it available everywhere => also on computer (i.e. Desktop and (!!!) Web version !)

1 Like

Hi,
I think an audio recorder or plugin feature would be great and would be another great feature for logseq, since it is a wonderfull studying and working tool. I am studying law in Germany and I use logseq as my main studying tool alongside anki, which integrates very nicely.
But I also use notability for classes, since it features a great audio recording feature. I also stumbled over an app called noted, which is also great for notetaking and audio recording.
I think an integration of one of these apps or an inapp feature for recording with timestamps and dictation would really be another step towards a great and fersatile study app. I think lots of people nowadays work with audio recordings, that can be searched easily.
It would add another layer (hearing) besides typing, whiteboard with its drawing feature.

1 Like

Back when I was using OneNote and recoding undergrad lectures I used to use a little known feature that was amazing. The ability to record directly into your notebook and have all new annotations create timestamps in the recording. This meant I could ‘print’ the pdfs of the lecture handouts and draw or type on them whilst I was recording the lecture. This meant when I was revising I could go to any note in my notes and play what the lecture was saying at the time I made the note which was unbelievably useful during revision.

So my vote would be for an audio recorder feature where every block generates a timestamp in the recording when it is created so that you can click a playback button in the block and playback what was being said at the time you made the note.

3 Likes

I imagine you know, Voiceliner, even though one still has to do a few steps to add it and the transcription could be better.

And wondering if anyone has made progress on a Zapier integration, which could be done with webhooks I just read:

2 Likes

never heard of this before. thanks