Best starter guide: few things that maybe someone here would know

a) im looking for a really good youtube / video showing how to use this, and explains it clearly
ggg
b) also looking for specific uses cases like what you use it for specifically
for example todos is a specific use case but many of us know trello is king in that
example: Trello
so looking for all the other things that logseq would be good for specifically

c) few qeustions
there was i believe a tutorial that showed after install
i created a new note, and now tutorial is gone
how to find it again?
i checked the user interface and cant find it anywhere

i found this thing i forgot how - https://logseq.github.io/#/page/getting%20started

the way this describe things makes it very confusing since it’s using the word “block” for no good reason and most ppl do not know what this means, and why would it explain things in a way that the vast majority would not understand?

its better to just say “just start typing”
“press shift enter to continue typing”
simple plain language
we can see what it does (which is a lot easier and better in seeing what sometihng does), but using strange words like this link makes this pretty useless

it’s also not useful because i cant open each link into a new tab like we can with every other site out there. this makes this site really hard to use since you are limited and constrained into one tab

i think that this link was made for just for techies, or just for the devs that made this app – and was not made for most ppl
as an example, i tested ‘upnote’ - it seems to be a good app that replaces evernote
and it has an immpeccable info sheet / tutroial page that just lists all the features very clearly and concisely. w/e team is making ‘upnote’ is doing an incredibly but im not sure what use case it would fit yet

i have no idea about logseq either

d) what is or are the main ways or organizing in this?
for example

• it looks like you click the ‘content’ section to edit
  • you click the title to ‘focus/show’ only that note (looks like you cant edit/change the title which is weird)

but how to create a new note?
i think notes are called ‘graph’ in this, but that word is too confusing to me
i clicked on top right > ‘add new graph’ > but then it does not open a new note
it says " Open a local directory"
it says a directory is a “folder”
but i dont want a folder, i want a new note
how are we suppose to take notes without being able to create new ones?

are we suppose to type in the current “sheet” or something?
it doesnt explain anywhere why we would want another “folder”?
arent we able to hvae more notes within the current “folder”?

on top right, “all pages” seems to be showing all the notes, this doesnt seem useful since it’s likely you’ll have lots of notes
“all files” seems to be showing a similar thing

anyway what is or are the main ways or organizing in this?
and i need a really really good youtube that explains everything fully and clearly

any good start guide would tell us this from the beginning
if we wanted to know what were the common ways of organizing, all any of us would do is to look at the common popular apps the world has made. something like this w/e this is is ofc not that

e) are we suppose to organize things using #tags like in evernote?
if so thats ok that means that every new note i have to #tag it with a #title
that works
only if we are able to show all the #tags so that we know what are all the tags
it has to show only the #tags and nothing else since anytihng else would make it hard to find the #tags and thus making it useless

on link above, i clicked the link under ‘getting started’ where it has the #dummy tag
after clicking on the link, this page/link isnt showing the entire note
how do we use #tags to show the entire note?

f) are there font colors in this, i dont see any?

g) it says on the web that this would suggest things after there’s more notes?

• but i dont know how it’d show it - how would it show it?
  • and i dont know it’s going to show - what is ti going to show?
  • because there’s no good video

any really really good youtube / video showing how to use this, and explains these few things and anything else clearly? like in a few of the good apps out there
seeing what specific uses this could be used for, and what gaps in the tools this may be filling

h) copying into almost every other app keeps almost all formmating, copying into logseq does not do that…
looks like you can copy out though
that means that the use case of copying notes into loqseq is out since it’s not keeping all formmating

1 Like

I probably use <10% of logseq’s power, but that’s fine with me. The rest is there when I’m ready to learn. Here’s a quick description of how I use it. I use the desktop version and don’t bother with github or other online uses. If one day there’s an android app I’ll experiment…hint hint

I work at a civil engineering company doing design work on Autocad. Logseq is my personal workplace knowledgebase. I use the journal so everything is date based. Projects get put in [[]] notation, and everything else (people, clients, anything unique about the project, etc) gets #notation. So a block under today’s date might look like:

14:34 call from #DH about the #stormwater pond at [[BigProject]]. We’re going to have to put a #retaining #wall around the NE corner and extend the #spillway. I #warned him about the #trees

So this is my record of an engineering decision that was made on todays date, at a specific time, by DH. My ass is covered if in 6 months someone says “what happened to that tree?”. Also, as the ‘graph’ grows I develop a storehouse of knowledge about retaining walls, spillways, stormwater ponds, and interactions with DH. I can also pull up everything I ever wrote about BigProject.

I also use TODOs to keep track of my task list, WAITING if I’m waiting on someone to make a decision or send me something before proceeding, and DEADLINE for…deadlines. These areas will eventually force me to learn some querys as they don’t always display data the way I want. I want, for instance, to see all my WAITING items every day when I first start the program. That way I can bulldog everyone who owes me something first thing in the morning. I know through a query in the journal template it can be done, but lack if it isn’t stopping me from using it. And if I did it it’d probably eventually annoy me. So for now I just have a WAITING page I can go to to see it all.

I know they say to just start writing and put everything in it, but I suggest start small. Pick a facet of your life you can track and experiment with it. Start a Nature graph and record your daily observations. Did you smell smoke on your commute? Was it raining? Did that tree on the corner drop all it’s leaves? Was the sunset particularly beautiful? Stuff like that.

For me, youtube videos don’t help with overall processes or philosophies of use. It’s too wide and generic. I like them for “how do I do this”. You may learn differently. I have to DO. That said, there are a number of videos in the help that will get you started. Again, start small. Don’t worry about templates, queries, or any of that other stuff to begin with. Don’t get caught up in plugins or skins. Limit yourself to just trying to figure out the items available in the settings. Have you ever tried to use a CMS like Joomla or even Wordpress? You can spend all your time screwing around with the options and never actually write anything. I think we’ve all done that at one time or another.

Good Luck.

1 Like

we should be able to update / revise / edit our post instead of having to make a new post, discourse can do that, can the ppl that installed the discourse for this site enable that setting on here, thanks

HI, I am a bit confused - I can see you edited your post. Are you no longer able to do so? I think in Discourse there is a time limit set for when posts can be edited to avoid weirdness or the post completely changing down the line. If you can no longer edit your post, let me know and I will look into it for you.

Thanks