Better syncing between iMac and iPad

Hello Ed,

I’m a new user to Logseq and really love what I’m learning to do. But I’m stuck on how to use more than one device with a single graph saved to iCloud (as required by the iPad Logseq app).

Have you been able to use the same graph file between your iPad and Mac? When I tried to connect to a graph on my MacBook created by my iPad, I got a warning that the file was assigned to a mobile device… and I was not able to use it.

It seems as though a single .md graph file should be accessible by two different devices using essentially the same Logseq app, right?

I welcome any suggestions you may have.

Gratefully,
Paul Berggren

Hello,

Are you saying the reason I can’t use the same graph file (saved in iCloud) between my iPad and MacBook is because of iCloud syncing?

When I try to open up a graph on the laptop made by the iPad, I get an error in Logseq, and it won’t let me use it. Is that problem solved by your GitHub solution?

Curious,
Paul Berggren

hi Paul, welcome to the community. I wish I could give you more information. My note above indicates my latest experience. Im not having luck with using a master file in iCloud on my mac desktop and the iPad trying to connect to it. Not sure what is going on. Seems like last time I had to backup, delete the file, start over somehow for it to engage. Frankly, Im not interested in doing that every few months so I’ve elected to wait until they finish their own syncing system. For many years developers have had problems with connecting to Apple’s icloud so Im not going to spend any time on it.

Im also hoping someone on the programming team will see this post and shed some light on any solutions.

Syncing problem solved. I became a Logseq Backer and received access to the new Logseq Sync feature. It works flawlessly and allows me to use the same graph with my iOS and desktop Logseq apps. Everything is actually stored locally on my two devices, with a secure encrypted copy on the Logseq site.

Having both is a game changer for me. I set up a test graph shared between both iPad and MacBook and will confirm its stability. Then I’ll start transitioning my early notes over and make it my main daily journal. I can leave both apps open in memory (if I forget to close the app) and use Logseq on the other device. Everything synced as long as I give it a moment to catch up.
Very cool. It’s worth the $5 monthly Backer support to sync while keeping the project going. - Paul

When you say “everything store locally” do mean the files would be stored in my iPad or can I use my iCloud drive? thanks

When you want to use Logseq’s own syncing feature you cannot use your iCloud drive to store your data. That causes syncing conflicts.You will have to use a local folder on your iPad.

Bummer, I have a ton of information in LogSeq so will need to see if my iPad has the capacity. Don’t think it does. thanks though.