Data loss happened twice, I can't trust Logseq anymore

Really disappointed that I lost a lot of data today. I need a backup plan.

Huge fan of Logseq (paid supporter).

Unfortunately here to share this same frustration.

Was just looking over my notes thinking ā€œGreat lookinā€™ archive youā€™ve got there! Sure would hate to see something happen to it!ā€

Sure enough. :fire::fire::fire:

Canā€™t pinpoint a specific moment or action that triggered it.

• I am using Logseq sync.
  • I am using various plugins.

Page history doesnā€™t show what Iā€™m missing.

Using Logseq as my ā€œsecond mindā€ is painfully true in this case.

Iā€™ve been kicking some serious *** at work today, but now that the history of my day is gone, I feel like I just lost the last 8 hours of my memory.

Iā€™ll keep using the tool. Itā€™s just a painful reminder that some sort of backup strategy needs to be in place.

Unfortunately I donā€™t know where to go from here since I was sort of leaning on Logseq Sync to save me in the inevitable, semi-catastrophic data loss like this.

My active plugins (in case it helps):

• Paste More
  • Todo list
  • Quick Capture
  • Bullet Threading
  • Tabs
  • Tags
  • Task Management Shortcuts (new as of like yesterday. Probably not the issue, just makes me suspicious)

Stock theme.

Godspeed to the dev team.

Like I said: huge fan. Happy to help with testing or whatever else.

Cheers to a great product and a great community.

EDIT

For the record: I did try refreshing and re-indexing to no avail.

System info:

Logseq Version: 0.9.10

macOS Ventura: 13.4.1
M1 Max

1 Like

Iā€™m using Logseq, no plugins, paid Logseq sync.

I run Logseq on two macs, both fully patched Ventura. Running current stable version of Logseq.

Today I lost seven hours of work as the computer I am working onā€™s graph was seemingly completely wiped out by the other computerā€™s older dataset. Four pages that Iā€™d been editing continuously all reverted back to a previous state on a manual sync (which I did to make sure I didnā€™t lose my work!)

Page History shows NO changes since yesterday. Time Machine shows no changes either ā€“ I guess my graph never got written to disk.

I love, love, love, love Logseq. I would have never previously thought of discontinuing use for any reasonā€¦ not predicting an issue where my local changes were not written to disk for hours.

I cannot think of a way to justify continued use at this point. Iā€™ve been trying to make gains on the conclusion section of my thesis for weeks and finally ground through it today and it is gone. I would gladly pay a few hundred bucks to have it back.

6 Likes

I lost some content at the end of the week. Iā€™d written quite a lot on Friday and then when I opened up LogSeq on the next day, I saw I needed to login. When I did this, all of my updated text from Friday was gone.

Luckily, I tend to only write in journal pages and I found files in ā€œbakā€ folder which seemed to have most of my text in. I think my lesson is to check more diligently for login status.

1 Like

I was logged in just fine. I was offline. I worked all day at a coffee shop. When I wanted to make sure my work was syncronized I connected to the internet for the first time in hours.

I had a similar issue last week when I worked for a few hours on a plane.

1 Like

Sorry this happened to you. The only time that I experienced data loss is when not logged in to Logseq Sync and then reconnecting; which seems so counterintuitive. I have a robust backup system that enables me to continue on. I use a 3rd party sync solution and run Logseq locally only on the desktop. Had to disable Logseq sync for this reason alone.

1 Like

Time Machine showed me only two versions of the file: the one from first thing in the morning and the one that had been clobbered by the sync. Doesnā€™t look like Logseq was writing changes to disk all day.

Never mind my last post. I totally misunderstood what happened. The problem is somehow with the sync. For some reason, either Nextcloud sync failed to uplload changes I made after a certain point of time, or LS failed to write changes I made to disk or LS somehow failed to update file times.

Not sure if it helps to track down the problem but here are some issues I tracked down:
Iā€™m using Logseq on a laptop and a desktop, both Ubuntu 22.04, both syncing to Nextcloud via the Nextcloud Desktop app.
I also use it on an Android 8.1 phone and an Android 10 tablet, both using Folder Sync Pro via WebDAV.

First, both of my computers are running for long hours every day. Especially my laptop - itā€™s old, so I donā€™t shut it down for breaks. I noticed that the Nextcloud Desktop client doesnā€™t seem to like to run for a long time nonstop and somehow goes haywire and either doesnā€™t sync or syncs some BS. I opened a Github issue for the client here: [Bug]: Client stops syncing files after a while and goes haywire. Ā· Issue #5891 Ā· nextcloud/desktop Ā· GitHub

Second, although configured to sync deletions, Folder Sync Pro seems to skip to sync down file deletions sometimes. Sync down meaning, a file was deleted on the server and FSP should delete it on the phone too. That I could verify. Iā€™m keeping a close eye on that (and Nextcloud sync) now to locate any other potential problems.

Hi! Iā€™m new to Logseq, considering moving from Roam here. After reading the reports above Iā€™ve got worried and am re-considering moving here. Is these type of datalose something common or just recent bug that might have to do with the automatic sync?

I canā€™t speak for the others but every problem I experienced was related to the (external) sync process and not to Logseq itself. After I took a good long look on that and turned a few dials here and there, I havenā€™t seen any issues any more.

I also had data loss, but only when I edited notes in pop-up window.
There is crutch (not fix per se): after end work, needs to beat off the line by Enter to create new block and remove it.

Just lost another dayā€™s worth of data.

Data loss seems to coincide with app updates (though not exactly at the same time).

Just updated the app yesterday.

Lost a day of data today.

I donā€™t really have anything productive to add to the topic, so Iā€™ll stop now.

2 Likes

Hey,
Paying customer and fan also here.

Had a dataloss today editing on mobile a new entry, waiting for sync, and not seeing it appear on desktop after an hour. This is worrying!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve had the same issue. I eventually got the blocks to appear on my desktop by going back onto the mobile device and editing something in the affected page: everything then synced. However, since itā€™s a journal page, if I hadnā€™t noticed, itā€™s unlikely I would have ever gone back to edit it.

1 Like

Yet another one: started modifying an existing page, realized that the Logseq Sync icon was crossed out, thought that itā€™s ok because Iā€™m storing things locally first - right?

After a while I restart Logseq, and my changes get wiped. Page history seems to show the wiped version as the only local change! So thereā€™s nowhere to recover from.

In this status this no more than a toy.

3 Likes

Just created an account to say itā€™s been very frustrating that my work has been deleted without cause or way to figure out what has happened. As a paying member this is pretty disappointing and am considering switching to another platform

It happened again!

Iā€™m a paid logseq sync user

Opened Logseq on Mac
Went to TODO and did a bunch of edits
Saw that there was an update, restart to upgrade, clicked that
restarted and asked me to login (this is where I knew that I was going to lose work)
logged in
went back to TODO, all changes reverted, new work lost.

how in the world is this still not fixed?

I had the same issue happen to me yesterday.
It coincided with the update I agreed to install when I connected to WIFI after working offline.
I am using the native Logseq sync service.
I am using Logseq in parallel with Obsidian and its native sync service (both have access to the same files)ā€¦ While I prefer the Logseq interface, I will switch to using only Obsidian until this issue is resolved. I canā€™t afford to lose more work like this.

1 Like

I also have just lost everything, lucky it wasnā€™t too much. Iā€™m not impressed, am leaving this and looking for another one. Am very disappointed.