Discord Issues / Matrix Bridge?

I have been using Logseq for some time and sometimes there are some questions I want to ask which aren’t really suited towards the Forum (or have been asked on the forum and are stale).

I tried to find a Logseq community room on Matrix (without any success).

Given that there seems to be a very active Discord community, I decided to sign up (although in general I really dislike Discord due to their Privacy Policy + usage of user data) and am immediately hit by Discord’s phone verification. I am not going to give Discord my phone number, so I now am completely unable to interact with the largest Logseq community.

The Discord community has 7x the number of members and 500+ online (as of right now), compared to how inactive this forum is, this seems like the only real way to interact with the community, and due to Discord policies/anti-spam there is no easy way to sign up/interact without providing PII.

Would it be possible to create a Matrix->Discord bridge so there is at least some way for privacy conscious users to interact with the main community? Or would there be any interest in a Matrix Space/room for Logseq?

5 Likes

Hello. The Discord is by far the most active place for discussions and asking any questions. There are already a number of communities (Discourse, Discord, Reddit, Twitter) and I am sure the team would like to avoid having another too many dotted around as these take up a lot of time to manage and moderate. Having said this, would you please be able to post a link to Matrix (I have never heard of it) so that I can see what can be done.

Thanks

I don’t know about Matrix but I am in a similar situation as you. I have avoided Discord until now, but was willing to create an account for the Logseq community.

This was not possible because an automatic “security system” prevents the account from being created. I have contacted support - but they say there is nothing they can do.

So I am also locked out from this community and use the forum.

But I hope that the devs also read the bug reports here - otherwise it makes little sense to report problems here. Some questions stay unanswered but luckily there are quite some users in the forum willing to invest their time and help.

I’m not sure if we need another community platform, but maybe the forum - which already exists - can be used more actively?

1 Like

afaik you can sign up on Discord using only an email account, I’ve never had to provide my phone number.

I can confirm that this is possible - I know people in person who created an account without a phone number.
BUT, it is not possible for all of us. For some logins, an automatic security system sounds an alarm and then logging in without a phone number is no longer possible.

According to Discord support, there’s nothing they can do about it - tough luck.

Matrix <> Discord bridge will be two-way I believe, so the mods will not have to be present on Matrix themselves to communicate with Matrix users. Similarly, Matrix users do not need to sign-up on Discord. Two different platforms but a simple seamless bridge.

@ChrisVn oh, thanks for the clarification I wasn’t aware that was a thing :slight_smile:

@Ed_Nico some related links :

I don’t know what is the better bridge… maybe OP would know ? @kraftnix

1 Like

Hi, using Matrix doesn’t prevent you from having users from Discord too. As others have pointed out, Matrix is a protocol and is meant to solve the fragmentation of chat platform.

Also Logseq is FOSS but most FOSS projects used IRC and recently Matrix while still supporting IRC. On the other hand Discord is for gaming, it’s proprietary, not privacy-oriented and with other problems.

Again, adopting Matrix means continuing to use also Discord (and IRC, Telegram or whatever) but bridged together.

Some organizations that currently use Matrix include Mozilla, KDE, GNOME, OpenSUSE and many others FOSS communities plus some public institutions.

Also notice that since Matrix is a protocol, many clients exist (like email clients) so people can choose full-featured ones like Element or minimal ones or command-line ones or native ones (like KDE’s NeoChat or GNOME’s Fractal).

Not to mention Matrix is not only for chat but is basically a decentralized database with ACL included. You can build any kind of decentralized app with it, even social networks, comment sections for websites or collaborative editing.

For Logseq, Matrix could be interesting even to build collaborative features with it in a decentralized way.

Cheers

@Ramses could this thread be turn into a Feature Request so that we can upvote it?

Good idea - just done

2 Likes

Only just seen this. Discord also needed an email and then also wanted a phone number for me to join. So I didnt. I also had problems joining here. Never received confirmation to a number of my email addresses (opened an issue on the logseq github early in the year)
I set up a community logseq room on matrix at the beginning of the year at #logseq:matrix.org
Theres ~35 people joined the room. Not much conversation. I set up RSS feeds into the room to notify when theres new releases on github , blogposts from logseq etc.

I just notice historical messages are not available for people, so not much to see right now, but changed that so from this point on they are. Heres a link to the room

Happy to hand this over to the logseq developers.

Would be great if a bridge was set up from discord to matrix (either in the existing room or a new one). Its pretty straightforward to do, I’d be happy to help.

1 Like

I’m not familiar with Matrix.org yet, but I want to investigate this after repeated requests by community members. Is it correct that we can set up the bridge using a Discord bot, or is it better to self-host? In the latter case this could pose an issue as it would mean yet another app we need to maintain (updates mainly).

@Ramses I think the easiest and most friction free way to do it is to use the t2bot.io - Discord Bridge bridge @cannibalox linked above.

Its a free service run as a personal project by one of the matrix developers.

Someone in the logseq community matrix room just mentioned that theres a whole load of rooms on Discord. It should be fairly straightforward to set up a Logseq community on matrix and bridge more (all?) of the rooms across.

1 Like

Thanks for the fast reply. I’m in the Logseq room on Matrix now and will ask for help there on how to set everything up.

A Matrix “Space” with some rooms bridged to Discord is now available:

#logseq:matrix.org

Thanks to everyone involved!

1 Like