Excel/Notion-like databases

What would be really cool would be being able to use notion-like databases in logseq.

In obsidian, there is dataview but development has slowed and they haven’t incorporated column-wide data processing, neither can you edit content from within tables. It’s non-existent in roam except for a scanty alpha version of calculator.

My idea being that each block being its own table cell, and being able to access each cell regardless of where it is through block referencing. And being able to use formulas like concatenation, subtraction, string splitting, conditional loops, and so on. It would make logseq infinitely more powerful and grab a huge share of the notion market.

It is the reason I came to and still am in Notion. It’s even better than airtable!
Markdown tables always suck, so I see no suitable text representation.

2 Likes

I think it can be represented, it just requires a rethinking of how it would be represented instead of a traditional markdown table. We could brainstorm it here in case a developer decides to take on the challenge.

Bumping this… not sure if this would ever be implemented but I’d be willing to raise a bounty :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yes yes yes, so much yes. I will hire someone/contribute to a bounty to see this happen!

2 Likes

I tried something like this before. Will be quite tedious to include all the mathematical equations available out there.

output

1 Like

Would it be possible to have user created formulas (like in notion)?

1 Like

Sorry I don’t use formulas in Notion.

Do you have an example please?

1 Like

Sure! Here’s an example:

The power of formulas lie in how people can customise them to their own needs. You can concatenate other columns, take the sum of other columns, split them, create Booleans, etc.

1 Like