Filters for note body, not just backlinks

Thanks for the quick response. Here’s a screenshot of my query result (in regular view). I am trying to add another item in the todo list but it doesn’t allow me to (unless I add it as a sub-bullet). Am I missing something or is this the expected behaviour?

(A funny way I discovered though is to add a sub-bullet and then drag it to make it a bullet, but just checking if there’s a cleaner way)

This is the expected behavior. It would be the same with a filter though. Any item not in the query or filter would not show up. However, there are some plugins in marketplace that make it easy to generate TODO items in your journal from any page or view, they might help you.

The query Idea sounds good but if I am trying to recall a very specific piece of information really quick it would be easier for me to click the filter button and filter by tag in the main page boddy liek I do on roam.

I feel liek the use case for query is for persistent filtering.

1 Like

I agree. This feature is a priority for me, but I am just speculating why it wasn’t built in from the beginning like in Roam.

5 Likes

What Logseq lacks for me as a user who switched from Roam. It’s the lack of filters in the sidebar, “unlinked referances” and the whole page. I’ve used them quite often. It would be great if these types of filters were in Logseq, and the Link button in “unlinked referances” would also be great if it was added. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes
  1. If you shift-click the tag, all blocks with references to it will dissapear (on that page)
    If you just click the tag, all blocks WITHOUT references to it will disappear, so only those with the tag will remain.

I too think it’s simple, and Roam does it simply too, so it could be a good example (it’s what I’ve described above, but you could see it working like we want)

Thank you!

I’ve never used Roam, but seeing the powerful filter in the linked references section in Logseq made me wonder why it wasn’t built into the page contents itself, too.

If you regularly move stuff from the reference section to the page itself, Logseq becomes less and less powerful.

So, adding my total support for this as a core feature.

+1 for maybe combining the “on-page filter” with an “on-page instant seach” as you suggested here.

But even without the search feature, an on-page filter would be a great improvement already.

This feature alone makes me wait to abandon Roam for good. I am surprised that this has not been implemented in the first place, let alone after people asked for it.

As Luhmann explains here, this basic feature can be quite important for our workflows, and there should be minimal development effort required to realize, since it has already been developed for backlinks. We just ask you to put it in another place.

4 Likes

+1 on that this would be a very good feature. Being able to take a long page and filter out all but certian tags like #comment, #extract

There is. There is a plugin called Style Carousel.
Default setting gives you a button that filters out any blocks that are DONE.
But in the config file you can set it up to hide stuff tagged with any tag you’d like.
I created a “hide” tag. Usually that is enough for my needs, as I do rarely need to filter out multiple tags.

That is only filtering out however. Not sure if this could be turned into “only show tagged with x” filtering (by that I actually mean: it’s probably impossible or if it is, you basically end up rewriting that extension). But apparently the developer has done most of the work it would take to implement Roam-like on-page filtering in Logseq, because he has the “hiding blocks on the page based on their tags” checked.

I am too wondering, why it hasn´t been implemented yet. Seems like an easy thing to do for the developer or some plug-in builders (at least from my very user-based view).

Bump

1 Like

On this FR there is the tag “estimate-large”, that’s probably how the team says “we are aware and welcome the proposal but it will take time because it is not trivial”.

I can’t speak for this particular case, but sometimes a feature that looks trivial from a user point of view is very complex from the developer point of view :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s good that Logseq has linked ref filters (although they are very unwieldy on pages with a lot of tags, should have search, overflow so they don’t take over the whole screen, etc). However, I really miss the ability to filter page contents from Roam.

For example, you could imagine that you inserted a lot of #metareflections in paper notes, and you want to only see these, or exclude these. (Only seeing them can be done through a query, but excluding them cannot).

It would also be really powerful if you could include page tags in a global filter. Imagine you import a bunch of academic notes from Roam, and you could filter from seeing just the academic subset of your notes, including when you search/query etc, or just the personal notes, or all.

Edit from mod: This and some messages below were moved here from a similar post.

Came here to make this same post.

A use-case I would use every day: filter OUT blocks containing “DONE”. (Getting the completed tasks out of view helps to focus on what remains to be done)

This should be merged with the previous request?

1 Like

Yes please! This is a must to my workflow

Edit from mod: This and some messages above were moved here from a similar post.

2 Likes

Any progress? There is hope? :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

any update? any plugin available?

1 Like

Second this. Would be great to have this feature.

2 Likes