Hello from Germany

Hi guys,

i am a tax assistant and a former nurse based in germany.
Am using logseq to manage my work: My clients, income tax return, accounting, payroll and all that stuff, tax and law knowledge, get rid of political actionism in tax law (telling us it would be easier but in fact they quadruple the workload).
Also using it for the other fields in my life like Coding (for fun or rarely for work with C#, python, Filemaker, VBA or Xojo), Psychoanalysis, Philosophie, Medical stuff.

So logseq has two killer-features for me that it is the winner over Obsidian, Roam and however they all are called (they are good, but for me not that good):

• I can make daily notes and mention my clients there; so i can open a clients page and have a chronological view of everthing that was going on; and i don’t have to click five times on a backlink until i see what i need (more context, more context, more context, etc.). It is there and i can read it full. Period.
  • It is local. So i don’t have to worry about screenshots that are upload somewhere on Google Firebase or whereever and are not even secured by any kind of authentication, so everybody with a little bit of knowledge in python and the static part of the url can create another Collection #XYZ.

So that’s why i love logseq and let’s have a nice time!

Greets
Achim

5 Likes

Hello Achim, or should I say Guten Tag,

Thank you very much for the introduction and giving us some insight into your background and usage of Logseq. It is always nice to hear from fellow community members.

I also work in the accounting area (accountant) and find that LS is a joy to use. It is especially helpful to give me a break from constantly staring an an Excel sheet. Sounds like you do the same on top of reading law documents - I feel for you :slight_smile:

Completely agree with you about the features of LS. I was a little reluctant to leave the full form type of format for an outliner, but absolutely loving it and grateful that I can just type my thoughts out and see what these become down the line without having a rigid structure. When I look back now, I had lots of notes in OneNote, which became a relic the moment I wrote them down and were lost in the silos of folders and hierarchy.

There are many other great features to Logseq and just yesterday I finally got into properties and queries (https://logseq.github.io/#/page/term%2Fproperties) and was very impressed with the power of it. I did it on the books I have read, but can certainly see this as a type of basic CRM system to keep track of the background and key facts of cases I work on and an easy to reach summary.

Thanks again for the introduction and great to have you on board.

1 Like

Hello Achim,

Interesting to hear how you’re using Logseq, esp for auto-generating clients’ logs. I will consider what is an analog for my notes, but so far my topics are either too large (the collection would be very big soon) or too narrow (only 1-2 entries).

GrĂĽĂźe!
Amy

Hello Amy,

now the problem you mention i had before logseq too, namely in Obsidian and similar software. This because they all don’t provide a real backlinking (=transclusion). Of course you can see that there was an entry at date xy, but then it starts: You have to click “more conext” to see another row (out of 10). Then you have to click “more context” again to see the next row (yippieeeh, only eight clicks left until you get the full picture…) - you get the idea…

With logseq i structure it the following way:

Let’s talk about a tax return i have to do for a client.
The challenge here is: You never get all the invoices and all the ofter stuff, that is necessary. Then you aks them and in a month they bring you some stuff where they think it is everything - it won’t. So you ask them again for this and that and another month goes by…
Now you have the stuff together, you do your business, you go deeper in the case, but somewhere there smells a roast: If you have this and that - why is x and y missing here?! So you get back to your client again. Another month…
The downside of this is: You start an every point where you think “now i have everything together” fresh from a new point. In the meantime you had 40 other chaos-clients so you don’t remember what was your thoughts here… Start again… That needs a lot of time, wastes time and so on.
So, what i do is the following workflow that i’ve figured out works best for me - maybe it gives other people an idea:

Let’s start from scratch - i get a new client.

New client, they get a new number, so i create a note with that, let’s take the number 99999, his name is Smith and he want’s his tax return for 2020 to be done.
So the basic note is

99999 Smith taxret 2020

In this note go only basic infos:
Wife died in 2020, has three Kids, some objects since 2010:

• Object One
  • Obejct Two
  • Obejct Three
    Hates breakfast, so don’t ask for any costs on his business travelling.

That’s all.

Everything i do goes in the daily notes by referencing to this note
[[99999 Smith taxret 2020]]
- Did this and that
- Client told me this and that
- TODO Blabla

So if a month goes by i open this note and see what happened (and when) in one page.
So you need to figure out (this needs of course some time and experience with yourself) when you are talking too much or too less in this daily notes. But the good thing is: You can write directly into them from your basic note, so do it, because in a year, when you client comes back with his tax return 2021 you don’t have to start from scratch. You read your notes down and you are in the case and you take his stuff and look for all the things including the parts you missing last year.

If they bring you the stuff piece by piece, i never start from scratch again. I open this note, see what was going on, remember it and have a clear picture within minutes.
When i am through with the case, the tax office has all done, everybody is done, in my basic note goes one last entry: My learnings, my faults, whatever. What want i to happen or not happen anymore, know next year when this client comes back, etc. This is only for future reference, carry it to the next year, get experience. Of course there can be backlinks to my “knowledge garden” in it so i have my learnings in their backlinks too.

With the note i open next year i reference back to my learnings from this year (and maybe all the years back i had learnings too), so i have created my backlinks to them, they are connected.
So this basic notes consists in the end of those parts:

• Basics
  • Learnings from the last year(s)
  • History for this project (= Backlinks)
  • Learnings this year

All the stuff i have learned while doing the case which is not a fault but growing knowledge goes in their notes and has a backlink to this clients project. So i have a connection to a face or a case or whatever which gives me a context. They of course appear in the “History” (=Backlinks) too.

By referencing to the number, everytime i do a backlink or a search or whatever, the popup shows me all projects - so i never miss any of them.

Best regards
Achim

2 Likes

Lieber Achim,

Thanks for sending your system details.

I think I am not understanding completely. Here’s what I made in Logseq:

My questions are:

• should I be seeing embedded backlinks in the non-daily note? (ie Nested in?) Perhaps I have to enable some plugin?
  • how do you remember what the non-daily note is called? Do you have a list of clients’ numbers in a folder and you can see that list all the time? I find that typing in the search field is terribly slow. Just typing anything like “boston” get a new page going takes about 30 seconds, and sometimes I have to force quit. There are times when I know there’s no page about it and I would like to just start typing. Pretending to search is time waster, but maybe I’m using the wrong process to create new pages?

And here’s what I tried to replicate in Obsidian.

Sincerely, Amy

Hi Amy,

you should work with indenting and outdenting.
I am working with daily notes. Therefore you don’t need any kind of plugin, it’s a feature Logseq comes with.
Please make sure to have Journals enabled in your settings:

For me if I open Logseq I have my daily note right in place then:

I find my basic notes like 99999 Smith taxret 2020 because every of our client gets a unique number. In our example it is 99999. So I do the taxes and accounting in another software (of course :slight_smile: ) than Logseq where this client gets this number and all his/her/* data are in. In Logseq only my notes, todos and knowledge are living. The real work like taxes, vat, accounting and so on is all done in another software.
So if I work on a client I have to call this client in this other software. But there I need the number otherwise I have to click around five times until I find it. So to be honest: I look for their number in Logseq. Because I know the name I am working on. Logseq has a search field in the upper left corner, I put the name in there and the search provides me the returns for smith. So yesterday I got the brother of a client. So renamed his basic note
99999 Smith taxret 2020
to
99999 Smith Steven taxret 2020
and gave his brother
99998 Smith Mike taxret 2020
Logseq does a magic here: It does not only rename this note but also renames all your backlinks to this note. So if you have written in your daily notes [[99999 Smith taxret 2020]] they all get automatically renamed by Logseq with [[99999 Smith Steven taxret 2020]]. So you have a real freedom here. And if you wanna be sure your old notes get matched you can do an alias:: 99999 Smith taxret 2020 as first entry in this basic note, so both ways go to this note: The name of the note itself and the alias.

Now, we go ahead. We make daily notices and let’s see how I work with it.
I create an example for you with a new graph.
So the basic note for my client looks like this:

First you see my general notes and in the backlinks you see the chronological history of my progress and my todos and so on. I didn’t integrate any knowledge here to get you in the structure of how I do this part.
Now have a look on my daily notes (called “journal” in Logseq) to see where the backlinks are coming from. So to get back into the journal, we have to click on the “house” oder “home”-symbol on the right.
Now I get my daily notes:

Please note that I have collapsed the whole bunch with my notes for the kitchen invoice and the difference in paying and what’s on the invoice. Most of the time I work with all these items collapsed because I write in this first line a “teaser” where I immediately know what I mean when I’m in the story. In a year, when I don’t remember all that, I will uncollapse them and read what was going on there. Maybe I don’t give a damn on it for the rest of my life - but if somebody wants to know something - I have my infos here! So this is only an example and might not be perfect, but that’s not the target. My target is: You get the idea of what I am doing.
Please note especially how I indent my notes in the daily notes under the brackets. Only then they appear in the “Linked Reference” (which I call Backlinks the whole time). If you don’t indent them you get exactly what you see on your screenshot: There is only the the [[99999 Smith taxret 2020]] and nothing appears below of it because you didn’t indent it under this [99999 Smith taxret 2020]]. So Logseq thinks “Did this and that”, “Client told me this and that” “TODO Blabla” has nothing to do with [99999 Smith taxret 2020]]! These are notes standing alone for their self. So click into each subentry and indent it by hitting tab on your keyboard and they will immediately appear in the Link reference too. Like you see it in my screenshots.

If you tell ne, typing something like “Boston” takes you 30 seconds - this is definitely not a normal behavior except you are working on a machine that’s 20 years old and that slow. But then if you open Logseq - this will take you 2 minutes! I do not know what is going wrong but Logseq (even if it is in beta now) is very stable on my Mac, a windows 10 and a windows server 2016. I am working with it on those three machines so your approach to create a new page is not false. You can even create a page by simply make [[Blabla]] in a daily note and click on this [[Blabla]] - boom, your page/file is an your filesystem. So really, Amy: If you can, work with Logseq for testing purposes on another machine and see if it works as shitty as you describe it. If you have another profile on your computer, install Logseq there and test it there. Maybe you work with the GitHub-Online-DontKnow-Version; I am only working with the desktop-version because my clients data have nothing to do on GitHub or somewhere else.

And no, you don’t have to enable a plugin to see your backlinks, simply try it like I described und you see it in the screenshots.

Hope this get’s you on the road :slight_smile:

Best regards from Germany

Achim

1 Like

Vielen Dank Achim! That makes sense. I tried your workflow and I think I understand it better, but I won’t say Alles Klar, yet. : D

The indenting -under- the backlinked page’s name was esp. useful, so I could see more in the linked reference(s) section.

Regarding performance, I deleted everything and reinstalled a few times and it is much better now. Good to hear that it was/is stable for you, and so that encourages me to try again, that’s it not just awful but only true-fans could put up with it.

I also noticed the renaming of backlinked documents and thought that was esp. nice.

Now to the real work of thinking and writing, haha. Thanks and have a good weekend.