Hello from LarryK

Hi all, I’m Larry Kollar. I live in Georgia, USA, north of Atlanta.

I used outliners for taking notes for years, and found Logseq in June 2021 when I was looking for a journaling app. Then it checked my outliner box, my Markdown box, and my Wiki box. I’m a writer (technical documentation by day, fiction by night), so I installed the desktop app on my personal iMac, and use the webapp on my work Doze laptop (because of the dire malware false positives).

My work graph helps with project management and notes. Indeed, my manager asked me for some info today about a system we’re evaluating, and I was able to find what I needed in minutes because I’d been a good boy about tagging. :laughing:

At home, I’m journaling, collecting recipes, building a story bible for my superhero universe, and working on pulling all the Evernote, Google Keep, Journler, and outliner notes in. (Evernote went first; after some serious weeding, I still have over 100 notes to pull in, and I’m working on the last 20 or 30.) For fiction writing, I generally stuck to outlining (in an outliner, imagine), writing only introductory paragraphs or brief snippets about the scene as I imagined it. This worked well, because I could easily export OPML, transform to MultiMarkdown, and import that into Scrivener for So far, I haven’t really done anything with document mode just yet. That may change, especially for flash fiction.

Glad to be here! I’m also LarryK on the Discord forum.

2 Likes

Hi, Larry! Welcome.

Logseq is indeed the first app that check all the boxes for me:

:ballot_box_with_check: Outliner
:ballot_box_with_check: Local, flat-file storage
:ballot_box_with_check: Markdown
:ballot_box_with_check: Wikilinks
:ballot_box_with_check: Backlinks

I keep both work and personal stuff in the same graph, because there are many times when things overlap (in a good way). A lot of my personal interests often seep into my creative work.

Sometimes I wish I was a writer, if only to have an excuse to use these amazing tools like that. :nerd_face:

My biggest pain was moving 3000+ notes out of Evernote in 2016. I eventually achieved that thanks to Bear (import+export). But man, was that traumatizing. I’ve been avoiding proprietary formats and databases like the plague ever since. Now, there’s nothing I can’t do with just a bit of regex.

See you around!

1 Like