How important is pages-metadata.edn?

I have noticed this single-line file that keeps growing as I add pages and does not seem to contain more information than creation and modification timestamps for my pages. I am wondering how important it is for logseq to work properly, i.e. would I lose any information if I removed it and re-indexed my graph?

I am asking this because I use Syncthing to share my data across various machines and this file often gets conflicts. Also I suspect it could cause some data loss if some page gets updated in the background and the metadata does not match anymore. Basically I am thinking of asking Syncthing to ignore it so each machine works with its own file, but first would like to understand a bit better what it is for to avoid breaking something.

This is very closely related to the issues discussed in Format pages-metadata.edn before saving.

FWIW, I have stomped on versions of this file by simply picking one version in a Git merge and never had any problems. As we discuss in that linked suggestion, however, there is no way to reliably get that creation / modification info back. This will presumably mess up things like your recent pages list, etc. But your notes all keep working AFAICT.

1 Like