How to prevent making bak folder?

i have problem with bak folder as said here; is it possible to prevent making of them?

1 Like

What is the problem you’re facing?

i want to use logseq coinside with obsidian, problem is that “bak folder” will scatter search resaults in obsidian with many copies of pages and journals

1 Like

You can add the bak folder into the list of ignored folders in obsidian.

1 Like

Yeah I have the same issue… How can I make Obisidian ignore the bak folder though?

The latest insider release now lets you ignore folders in Obsidian should make its way to public soon.

I’ve finally got Logseq and Obsidian playing reasonably well with each other though I wish I could make Logseq ignore my Obsidian templates directory and designate a new name for assets (or better yet, support per-directory folders. Right now assets is the only lowercase directory in my vault.

Edit: Actually,I just saw the :hidden [], config on the Discord and will play with it tomorrow for hiding templates.

4 Likes

The “excluded files” config in Obsidian will not ignore those files in Linked Metions, which is “an intentional decision”, so it still spams your Obsidian’s Backlinks Pane.

What I did are deleting the generated bak folder, then creating a symlink inside the logseq folder, named “bak”, pointing to NUL on Windows (I am using Windows 11), it works as /dev/null. This will ignore all writing attempts to /bak folder, so no back up files will be created.

I don’t think this is a good idea, because the bak folder is there for a reason. But it serves my use cases. Hope it helps.

4 Likes

How about moving the Logseq directory “up” one level, so that bak is created outside of obsidians directory.

You can update the default pages and assets through

;; Tell logseq to use a specific folder in the repo as a default location for notes
;; if not specified, notes are stored in pages directory
:pages-directory “your-directory”

;; Tell logseq to use a specific folder in the repo as a default location for journals
;; if not specified, journals are stored in journals directory
:journals-directory “your-directory”

You would also have to move the whiteboard Folder.
But I’m afraid that there more folder and something would no longer work in LogSeq

;; Set the default location for storing whiteboards.
 ;; Default value: "whiteboards"
 :whiteboards-directory "obsidian/whiteboards"

The syntax to create this symlink to NUL is this:

mklink /D bak NUL