How to structure logseq for university lecture/reading notes?

I’ve been looking at various note taking applications for a university program I am starting next week. Logseq is intriguing but I’m not sure exactly how to structure everything in a way that makes sense.

In a folder structure, I would do something like Education → Fall 2023 → Course Name for each course. Then, I would maybe add subfolders in the course for lecture notes, reading notes and so on. My previous experience with note taking apps is messing around with OneNote a bit and then doing some light reading journal in Notion over the past year (I never really dove into databases etc… in Notion). My Notion notes were structured in a traditional way with a main page and then monthly logs linked on that page. Needless to say, I’ve never ventured away from the traditional folder organization.

In any case, I’d love to get a better feel for how best to utilize Logseq. Thanks!

I was once in your shoes, so I made a detailed post about how I would structure my graph if I was still in uni. Let me know if you’d like more info on any of these points:

Graph

I would either opt for one graph per class, one graph per semester, or one graph for everything.

Pages

I’d keep my journal pages turned on, and have one page per lecture or reading.

Namespaces for Hierarchy

I’d use namespaces to organize by semester and course, kind of like what you mentioned with “Education → Fall 2023 → Course Name”. So, for lecture 1 of class A, I’d create a page called “Fall 2023/Class A/Lecture 1”.

This would automatically create a hierarchy and two pages: one called “Fall 2023” and one called “Class A”:

When you go to the page “Course A”, you’ll see a list of all the ‘lecture’ pages under that namespace:

Similarly, when you go to the “Fall 2023” page, you’ll see a list of all the ‘course’ pages under that namespace + their sub ‘lecture’ pages:

Properties for dates, tagging, etc.

On each page (primarily lecture and reading pages), I would add properties to identify the date, the type of page it is, and any other relevant property.

To add a property, go to the first block of the page and type property-name:: property-value. Here’s an example:

Logseq_properties

Properties become pages.

Property values can include dates, pages, tags, etc. In the example above, I didn’t make the lecture value a page, but if you wanted to, say, have a page which aggregated all your lectures under “Linked References”, I’d suggest making that lecture value a [[page]] or #tag.

If you’d like to see all your lecture notes chronologically from the Journals directory, make sure you use the date-related slash commands: /Today, /Yesterday, /Date Picker.

One last note about properties: I highly recommend reading this tutorial to learn how to supercharge properties with queries. It might be useful to you: Logseq — Creating a Reading / Book List with Templates, Page Properties and Queries | by Ed Nico | Medium

Tasks, Flashcards, Deadlines, PDFs, Media

The nice thing about using Logseq for school is that you can embed flashcards, TODO items, cloze, and deadlines right into your lecture notes and reading notes:

Logseq_Flashcards, Tasks

Here’s how to view all your flashcards:

Logseq_Flashcard demo

To view all your TODOs, create/go to the TODO page:

If you’re a heavy Zotero user like I was in uni, you’ll love the Zotero integration: Citation Needed: How to Use Logseq's Zotero Integration

And if your Zotero entries have PDF attachments, you can open, annotate, and reference them in Logseq:

Logseq_Zotero plugin

This works for regular PDFs as well.

Additionally, you can add video recordings, audio, photos, etc. to your note pages. To learn more about how to embed other media (photos, videos, audio), see: Working with Media Files: Embed Audio, Photos, Videos and Embed Media - Audio, Photos, Videos

Templates

To save yourself from copy-pasting the format of notes from page to page, use templates: How to Create and Use Templates in Logseq | appsntips

Plugins

Here’s a list of plugin recommendations with video demos: Favourite plugins

The list is just missing Agendas, which is a useful plugin for advanced task tracking and DEADLINE items. Here’s a great tutorial on how to use it: How to Use Logseq Agenda Plugin to Manage Tasks and Projects (Part 1) and How to use Agenda to manage projects in Logeq (part 2)

3 Likes

Excellent suggestions. I would only add that if you’re careful about indenting on the pages where you’re making flashcards, you can make it so that the tags from your page properties are automatically applied to your flashcards, which makes it easier to filter the flashcards later.

For example, here is a page that I just prepped for homeschool. We have a large amount of memory work, with 3 cycles of 24 weeks, each week having 7 subjects. I make a page for each subject per week and put the flash cards for that subject indented under the page properties. (The reason that I make a page per subject is that we also link YouTube videos and upload learning songs and store images all related to that topic. Also some pages have multiple flash cards depending on the work for the week.)

Then on the page for the week (which is automatically created because of the namespace assigned to the page), I have a query to retrieve all the pages for the week.

{{query (and [[CC]] [[C3]] [[W2]])}}

The week page ends up with a table listing all the pages I created for the week

I could also make a query to show all the cards created for the week

{{cards (and [[CC]] [[C3]] [[W2]] )}}

Note: if you don’t indent the flash card underneath the page properties, it won’t automatically get the tags from the page properties.d

4 Likes

Oh wow, I didn’t expect such detailed responses! I can’t wait when I get some time later today to dive in.

Thanks!

1 Like

@jennie I have been looking for a way to combine flashcards across pages for the past year, and you’re an absolute lifesaver!! :star_struck:

In my case, I needed to use the “or” operator:

{{cards (or [[Page A]] [[Page B]] [[Page C]] )}}
3 Likes