Hrishi, earth system scientist, struggling artist

Hi everyone!

I study the connections between various spheres of the earth system to help address inter-connected global environmental challenges. The very idea behind this field is that everything is connected! (in other words, bidirectional linking! woot woot). My other interests include being in the backcountry, listening to (and attempting to play) jazz, and plein-air watercolor sketching.

To be closer to my parents, I recently moved from Pasadena, USA (where I was with NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory) to Pune, India. Every time I switch jobs, I revisit my digital tools to see if something shiny-yet-useful has come up. The last time I had changed my setup was in 2017 (when I switched from Jupyter Notebook to Atom IDE for Python). I have been using One Note, Apple Note (mainly as a scratchpad), Google Keep (groceries), and pen and diary (tasks and to-dos). This time around, I have made some significant changes. I have started using a dedicated task management app- after exploring a few, I settled on Ticktick. I am moving away from my Word-based writing workflow (mainly due to collaborators’ resistance) and giving a go to Typora and Authorea for writing manuscripts. Finally, I found out about Logseq only early this week, and I have already started using it for daily diary, notes, and outlining of research papers. Eventually, I hope to transfer my entire notes universe from One Note to Logseq.

These are the logseq features I love!

• Infinite outlining (I know, the obvious, but I had never used an outliner before, so it’s super cool!). The Folding feature and then being able to focus on a single block is priceless!
  • Bi-directional linking, and being able to see the linked references so easily
  • Ease of use
  • Love, love, love the presentation mode. I am planning to use this for weekly group meetings
  • The daily journal as starting page (I have been maintaining a daily journal since I was 12-year old!!)
  • Block referencing. I like the idea of how this can expand a research paper outline. Ideally, I would love to be able to create the final manuscript that shows seamlessly embedded blocks (kind of like Gingko).
  • Zotero integration
  • PDF highlighting
  • Logseq’s philosophy on data privacy and compatibility

I am looking forward to interacting with you all.
Hrishi

2 Likes

@Hrishi very interested in seeing your workflows, presentation tips/tricks. I too love the idea of bi-directional linking mirroring systems/complexity theory. +1 for Gingko-like seamless embedding of blocks.

Love reading about your enthusiasm!
I am currently trying to let Chat GPT write a plugin to convert the UI for a block from outliner to Gingko - wondering if anyone more experienced with Logseq-plugin development would be interested to co-create it!

I just checked the video on Gingko home page, in case you just need blocks to spawn horizontally when there is enough space like this:

and multiple times:

You can check the simple CSS rules in the file side-children.css here:

Former Gingko user here, I started working on CSS for a mindmap that reminded me of Gingko a little while ago, but it’s still (obviously) heavily under construction.
I don’t have a lot of time right now to finish something that’s definitely going to break when the new UI & theme comes out, but I will definitely post it when it has more function than bugs

Thank you, @alex0 Alex, just tried to copy and paste but I did not see any changes …
Grateful for finding codeberg through you though!

Thank you, @blork I appreciate it and am looking forward to trying it then!

Update on my GPT adventure:
I have just uploaded the code-structure that GPT engineer gave me - already using codeberg :peacock: - and here is the follow-up chat with Chat GPT to bug fix it. As you can see from there, the slash-command does not work, but the original placeholder instert-blocks slash-command from @Aryan is still in there.
(I also started another chat history where Chat GPT took a different approach. I stopped after several attempts of debugging the primary file {index.js}).

Status (for myself and maybe inspiring for others who are in a similar situation of desiring a Logseq-plugin:
For now, I will use the Obsidian-plugin for new long form text (so I can link to pages) and just continue with GingkoWriter for my existing notes - since the interface is better and I haven’t yet found a way to import notes in a way that I like
(In case anyone reading this is wondering how to “get a link” to a gingko file:
I timestamp new entries it like this YYYYMoMoDDHHMiMi to have a manual link to search and thus easy retrievability.)

Still open to contribute more to seeing a Gingko structure in Logseq (or Obsidian)!

Sorry, you have tagged a block with #.side, right? Don’t you see any change to its children?

Ah cool! Now it works, sorry from my side (if that was somewhere in the readme - or the code I did not see it)
Yes it works! (Nice that you have already made this tag transparent).
I am wondering if you know something like a hotkey to add this tag to all children blocks (and how to remove it as well?)

This could be a plug-in as well (slash-command to add or remove #.side to each block below)

Good idea but for that we need a plugin and it would be nice to have a generic one where for your tags of choice you set slash commands and keyboard shortcuts… I haven’t seen anything like that on the marketplace yet but I may be wrong.

1 Like

Hi Alex,
I noticed that I was no longer able to scroll (on any page) with your CSS.
Haven’t been trynig to fix it yet - just an FYI.

And I am open to give gpt-engineer a try to create this plugin if you (or someone else) are down to help :slight_smile:

On which OS? Windows, Mac, Linux, Android or iOS?

Windows 11, Android (One UI, Android 13) and I think also Apple (Monterey)

Indeed I remember scrolling not working on Android, that’s why the CSS I shared is disabled when run on Android. I suppose it’s the same on iOS but desktop being affected is surprising.

Sorry, I will try to investigate when I have some time but I have no clue at the moment, from my limited CSS knowledge it should be OK. If you figure out something please let me know.

1 Like

I let Chat GPT fix it for us:

Thank you, could you open a pull request keeping the original file name side-children.css please?

done, here is the updated link: for-logseq/css at main - for-logseq - Codeberg.org