I love Logseq - Here's my Journey

I have been using Google Keep, Notion, and Apple Notes for many years, but Logseq is the only note-taking tool that has truly captivated me.

Logseq has not only transformed me into a note-taking addict but also inspired me to learn Vim, which, in turn, has fueled my passion for Python programming.

One of the reasons Logseq stands out is its unique block design, which has deepened my understanding of how human memory works and why note-taking is so enjoyable for many.

Moreover, my experience with ChatGPT has taught me the value of information and the importance of finding answers to my questions.

In Logseq, I have compiled all this knowledge, linking and interconnecting ideas to create a comprehensive and coherent picture.

Before discovering Logseq, I often found myself overwhelmed with numerous ideas swirling in my mind, making it difficult to articulate my thoughts effectively. I was unsure of what I truly wanted to express, as there were so many things vying for my attention.

Fortunately, Logseq provides me with a reliable platform to store and organize my ideas, freeing up mental space and enhancing my emotional control.

And I love this community; it opens up so many new ideas to me, just like the first day I started using the internet. Now, I can build my own world of knowledge.

7 Likes

Thanks for sharing. This is useful as I continue to use Logseq more and more and keep myself from flitting between all the PKM apps out there.

Wondering if you’ve given Obsidian a try? It seems quite popular and I’ve tried it a couple of times but Logseq seems cleaner/crisper to me as a general UX.

Gripes: sync is still spotty over iCloud and the learning curve is slightly steep though I’ve not dedicated enough time to that.

You’re welcome! Before I tried Logseq, I downloaded both Obsidian and Logseq to see which one I would adapt to more easily because they are entirely new styles of note-taking apps. I wasn’t sure if they would work for me.

In terms of syncing abilities, Obsidian is much better, but Logseq’s outliner design resonated better with me. However, syncing with GitHub compensates for the problem. It took me a few days to figure out GitHub since version control is a new idea for me, but after understanding it, I realized it’s a better solution and it made me feel more secure than Apple Notes. Another interesting thing I discovered is that I don’t have to use just one note-taking app. As long as I record my ideas and words, I can collect them in Logseq. It’s like having a personal Wikipedia where I can store all the valuable information I find in the world. And because it uses markdown files, I can easily switch between different applications.

Now, let’s go back to how it all started.

I gave myself 2-3 days to see if I could make Logseq work better than my original solutions, Notion and Apple Notes. Luckily, I solved my problem within the expected time.

I think the problem lies in the difference in design. The use of tags and links allows you to see everything within the link. It’s not just a simple fancy feature; it actually works better with my brain.

I have to admit that I have some bad memories from my childhood, and I tend to forget things. When I have emotional issues (a bit like PTSD, experiencing flashbacks to bad feelings for hours and days),

But as long as I keep using timestamps to track the flow of time and write down my feelings and what I had done in a day, it can reduce my negative thinking. And as the links within the notes connect with each other, you can find something very interesting. You can discover how your ideas were formed and how everything began.

Perhaps digital devices, the internet, and short videos have made my memory more fragmented, and traditional paragraph note-taking is too slow. You don’t need a specific subject to write things down; just tag anything you like, and someday you’ll figure it out by yourself.

The most important thing is to type/write down your thoughts and then tag them. The linked references will help you figure out “why” and “how.” Without the link reference, I would easily forget my notes.

This time, instead of selling me things or advocating ideas, computers are finally helping my thinking in our busy daily lives.

I think I’m too excited about what I found. Blah blah, become a wordy person. :joy:

2 Likes

Thanks for explaining how its working for you. I was also aware of this data portability and I think it’s great in that you can, for example, use Obsidian to access your Logseq notes and vice versa or even search this with a plain text app. It’s a very useful feature and also why I’m not buying into the proprietary ones out there such as Mem, Tana, etc.

Any tips on tagging and linking?

1 Like

Once you have accumulated a large number of notes, you may start wondering if there are other ways to categorize them. Tagging can be likened to small memory notes. When you see these tags, they evoke memories. However, since they are small, you may need different boxes or categories to organize them effectively.

I, too, often struggle with categorizing various things, including data and daily life, as everything tends to get mixed up. But since I started tagging my notes, I have developed a natural desire to be more organized.

Recently, I have started using namespaces to rename my book notes. It is important to feel comfortable with the tags or categories you choose. What is the most comfortable way for you to categorize your notes? Sometimes, being overly specific is not necessary. We need to find a categorization method that is broad enough but not overly specific.

You can try searching for the author or book name on Wikipedia and explore the categories at the bottom of the page. This exploration will introduce you to various keywords that resonate with you and capture the vibe you’re looking for. By doing so, you can discover the best categories for your notes.

Additionally, I find inspiration in the field of AI training, particularly in “Data Annotation.” I like using YouTube timestamps in Logseq and incorporating notes/tags that connect sound and video. This allows for seamless switching between different types of information, enabling fast retrieval. Once you can retrieve information quickly enough, new ideas start to generate.

Remember, the goal is to find a categorization system that works well for you and helps you easily navigate and retrieve your notes when needed while also evoking your own memories.

I think the human brain is like a unique style of AI. When we discover the right approaches, it can work surprisingly fast and effectively. Cooperating with ChatGPT is a good option.

Here are some videos. I hope they can help you.

1 Like