I want Logseq to support nested tags

In Obsidian, I replace the numbering system of Luhmann’s notes with a “nested label + title” format, where nested labels are based on the Universal Decimal Book Classification.

For example:
#400-Humanities /410-Language/411-English/411-1Phonetics /411-1-1Pronunciation

So my immediate problem with using Logseq is that my previous management system for “nested tags” doesn’t work. It can only be done in the form of MOC, not in the previous TOC + MOC mode.

I know there are a lot of people who say that tags belong to Evernote, the old note-taking system, and that new note-taking systems eliminate tags, and that two-way links have completely replaced tags. I don’t agree with this point of view. Personally, I think the advantage of hierarchical labels is that they are used to structure management categories. And the advantage of double chain is a kind of network. In the short run, network can be managed instead, but in the long run, a more convenient structure of management is necessary.

But it is also possible that I have not reached a higher level of understanding of “tags” and “double chains”, which is why I have such an “anti-ancestor” need.

The last thing I want to say is that we may only be a small group of “anti-ancestor” users, but we still want Logseq to give users the “power of choice.”

As a note-taking enthusiast, I am looking forward to the future ecology of Logseq. Thanks to the Logseq team!

Related articles

2 Likes

I totally agree with you! I am a heavy user of hierarchical tagging and it really helps as a block level annotation for simple querying. Also it is crucial to my Obsidian + Logseq workflow which uses tagging to resurface information in spite of any syntax differences.

2 Likes

I have used many different note taking software (not Obsidian and not Evernote) - some had hierarchical tags some had not. But every time I am limit to tags without hierarchy I am missing something.

If hierarchical tags are implemented well and search respects their parent/child relation this is powerful. I don’t know how this could be imitated with LOGseq - but if there is a way I would appreciate some hints.

Thank you very much for bringing up this request. I wholeheartedly agree with all that has been said in this thread so far: for the long run, a hierarchichal structure is necessary. In Obsidian I do work with nested tags as well and it is a massive help to index and quickly make accessible new (and large) areas of knowledge.

For example, I have a tag named #Knowledge, with nested tags #Knowledge/learning and #Knowledge/learning/academic methods.

Now, of course, the theme of ‘academic methods’ not only applies to the mentioned fields such as knowledge or learning. It also applies to various other topics of academic methodology and research methods. As well as to various fields of cognitive science. At this point, nested tags come in super handy. Because:

By using nested tags, I can quickly access the relevant areas of knowledge while at the same time get a visual overview of the structure and hierarchy without leaving the current page I’m writing on. This is sugar sweet and a very smooth workflow.

Also, it reverses - I think, not sure - how knowledge is created and assembled. Instead of being occupied of what goes where and ‘filling in content’ via writing ‘top down’ from a predifined hierarchy, nested tags help building knowledge from ‘bottom up’. Because later on, you can do with what you’ve written so far whatever you want and process it further. For instance, order the nested tags in a separate file you call ‘Index’ or add them to the Favorites panel or find the linked references in the ‘example-page’ of academic methods and compile a structured file with titles and all. (Say, you need to write about the concept of ‘Expierence’. This will then be H1. And ‘lived expierence’ - originally having been a nestead tag such as #experience/lived experience - will be H2. And so on. No limits to this. You could use it for various regions in the world, etc.)

However, when Tags are Pages (as is the case with Logseq), the method of using nested tags almost becomes a superpower. It facilitates the above described workflow in various ways and makes it a very smooth one. On whatever page I am, I can just ‘go with the flow’ and carefreely write. The very same moment, I inline-tag all that I write according to the tag-hierarchy and the visual overview it provides to me. No need to open or edit another page, to hussle with outdenting or moving lines or whatever. I just write, and then process. The processing however is much helped by having nested tags from the outset. There, in my opinion, lies the true potential of a combination of inline-tagging and (nested) tags.

… ok, having written this, I am not sure whether I’m right on all points or if this (most probably not) applies to all people out there. :slight_smile: I also might have missed something and Logseq provides this functionality since a long time. Jo, looking forward to discussion and insights and the further development of Logseq. (Thank you for your work)

5 Likes

Hopefully, the hierarchy of nested tags will be reflected in the global map as well.

1 Like

This has been implemented

** Hierarchy using #tags **
you can use hierarchy with tags and use the macro

{{namespace [[tag]]}}

Peek 2021-12-31 12-47

Will move this feature request to the archive

9 Likes

Yes. Click on the ‘tag’ or page and from the option menu delete it.

1 Like