Improve text editing across blocks

From GitHub #557

When editing plain text in a logseq page, users will expect editing keys to affect blocks very much as they affect paragraphs in a regular text editor. This means things like:

• pressing delete with cursor at the end of a block will concatenate the text in the next block to the current block or delete the next block if it is empty
  • pressing right arrow at the with cursor at the end of a block will move the cursor to the beginning of the next block, and pressing left arrow at the beginning of a block will move the cursor to the end of the previous block

Hi,

Some things that I can do with other outliners but can’t with Logseq and it just feels unintuitive not to be able to do is:

Feature 1:
Left Arrow to Previous Point

When I’m writing a point, say I want to edit something at the tail end of the previous point (often a tag, but whatever.) I can’t push the left arrow key to go to the previous point, it just sticks there. In pretty much every office software, and in Dynalist, Transno, Workflowy, etc, when you push the left arrow at the beginning of a point, it takes you to the previous point. Logseq should do this as well.

Feature 2:
Pushing Enter before first character on a point should create a new point above
So in other editors, if your cursor/insertion point is at the front of a point, before the text, when you push enter, a new blank point is created above the point your cursor/insertion point is on. Logseq doesn’t do this. The most annoying part about this is if I’m creating a new document, and I forget to add a title, or want to add a title later, I have to create a point below the top point, then add a letter in front of it so the point stays, copy the top point down, then replace the point above with a title. It’s not intuitive.

Could you take a loom or a gif of the behavior you describe? When I press enter at the beginning of a bullet, a new bullet is made for me

1 Like

Hi, consolidating 2 related threads. Like @andotvu, feature 2 requested by @Solardesalination is already working for me in Logesq.

Hi yes the enter feature has been fixed. Back when I wrote this it was a problem. Thanks!

@Cobblepot if you could delete that part or strikethrough please. I can’t seem to edit that post.

You can usually edit posts when signed in by clicking the pencil icon. If it doesn’t work, don’t worry about it, devs will ignore.

• pressing delete with cursor at the end of a block will concatenate the text in the next block to the current block or delete the next block if it is empty

@Cobblepot Just to confirm it should be delete with a cursor at the beginning of a block, right? it’ll concatenate the text in the previous block and the current delete block.

I don’t think so. If the cursor is at the end of the block, you should be able to combine the blocks by hitting delete… (sorry if i misunderstood you and this wasn’t your question)

Ok I got it now, thank you very much!

Yes, typing backspace with the cursor at the beginning of a block should concatenate it to the previous block (without changing the indent level of the previous block), and typing delete (i.e. delete forward) with the cursor at the end of a block should concatenate it with the next block (without changing the indent level of the current block). Basically you want to match the indent level of where the cursor will be after the concatenation.

1 Like