Intro - Hi I am Ed, Long time admirer of Logseq

HI Everyone, loving the new forum and hope this can grow. A little bit about me:

I am Ed, originally from Italy but currently working and living in London as an Accountant.

As part of my day to day work I have to deal with a significant amount of industries and entities within each industry. This led me to create a number of notes which were previously taken in OneNote. It worked fine for a while but I would continuously struggle to find what I was looking for. I was basically taking a note and never recalling it or coming across it.

After carrying out a number of searches on how to take better notes I stumbled upon the Zettelkasten method which opened a whole new world for me, and brought me down one heck of a rabbit hole. Taking atomic notes and being able to link concepts was an eye opener. Luckily, or unluckily, I got into it just at the time when a vast number of apps were being developed and released…queue testing out nearly all of them and having a productive summer/autumn :slight_smile:

Other than that, I am a bit of a numbers nerd and a sucker for tech /gadgets and a good book.

I am here to learn from the community and help out in whichever small way as I can.

Thanks for reading and hope you have a good day/evening.

5 Likes

Hi Ed, very nice of you. I hope this forum can provide some extra support than the GitHub issue(e.g., feature request voting ) and aggregate scattered discussions about logseq on the Internet. I am also so glad to see other people might enjoy the new forum.

1 Like

Hey Ed! Welcome to this forum and thank you so much for your support!
Ed made several videos about logseq on Youtube, which you definitely don’t want to miss.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=logseq

1 Like

Would love to hear more what you’ve tested.
I just saw Roam, heard of Obsidian, but tested Logseq first and stayed. :smile_cat:

1 Like

@Ed_Nico Looking forward to your mini-series blog posts!

1 Like

Haha I have started a bit of a mini series on the note taking apps that I have used and come across and will look to expand on it over the next few months as well as put up some written content on the apps.

I tested a few out before coming across Logseq and using it as my main tool, but I like to see what is out there and if there are any processes that I can bring in to my working so keeping an eye on what else it out there :slight_smile: Will share the link to my writings as soon as get these done

It’s coming man :slight_smile: slowly slowly but it is getting there. Hoping to publish over Christmas when will have a bit more time to finalise and make sure it is good

1 Like

Wow, that will be a gift, thank you!

I think I found you: https://ednico.medium.com/

An update to this thread would be great. I resonated a lot with what you said in your original post, about using OneNote, then finding Zettelkasten, and then finding a world I didn’t know existed. I’m on day 2, have logseq downloaded, went through a lot of OneStudderingMind vids, heard a podcast that made me worry that this note-taking world is a bit obsessive and culty, but I’m going to keep exploring it, cautiously.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the message Colins. I am indeed the Medium poster too :slight_smile:

So as an update, I am still using Logseq very strongly. I like the fact that it is an outline and that I can just write my thoughts and feelings on the go without needing to think too much about where to put something. The frictionless writing means I can just focus on the writing. When I played around with Notion, I spent hours trying to get it set-up only to not find it useful for actually writing anything.

It was not without issue though. It took some getting used to Logseq and the manner in which the files are organised (structureless) and a few trial and errors to get notes written in a way that they would resurface when I needed them. I previously used my daily journal as a base and from there would say [[Meet with XXXX]] and write my notes on that page. I know just write absolutely everything in my daily journal page. At the end of the week if something is too much or could do with its own page, I move it. I found this not helps keeping things in order but means that I need to revisit my notes from the week before which aids retention.

i have still not got round to playing with the SRS and cards, which I will do next year as I can see the benefit of these.

I watched a lot of videos and read up on a lot of others’ workflows but in the end what really assisted was just testing it out, tweaking things, and being comfortable. There are still times when I think “I really need to see my files (a bit like in OneNote where you can see all your folders from a birds eye view)” but these time are getting rarer and I then remember if I want to see all my files, I can just open explorer.

I hope this assisted you and please just shout if you would like to know anything specific. Thanks a lot for the message as it was fun to revisit a year later!

1 Like