Logseq Logo Community Contest: Voting Thread

Such a shame that the generic nodes in L shape logo is gonna win. Logo G is by far the best for its uniqueness. Although it looks a little like a chat app by representing a chat bubble, maybe the stump should point upwards.

1 Like

I get that it can be frustrating that another than the one you’re rooting for is ahead, but i can only reiterate what @bendy said – the logo selected as the winner of the community contest won’t necessarily be the final logo. Our team will take the contest results into consideration, but we will create our own version in-house. I’d like to encourage everyone to stay respectful towards all submissions, as every community member put effort and creativity into them. :pray:

3 Likes

Yeah it’s just a logo and while I understand that one wants the icon to launch an app on their devices to look good (me too and indeed I have already used my submission as an icon for Logseq for 1,5 years) what really annoys me is that some platforms don’t let the user change the app icons, for example Android. On Linux I don’t have this problem.

I know there are some apps that let the user customize their icon even on Android, like Telegram, but I don’t want to bother Logseq developers with workarounds for Android or whatever’s limitations.

So I take this opportunity to emphasize how much I appreciate community projects and this contest goes in the right direction by involving the community.

So I invite ConsumerOS and SpywareOS users to try more community projects and fewer corporate products that support a very limited number of customizations and don’t care at all about your feedback about logos/icons/branding. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Great submissions! option A is my favorite but tbh I believe the current logo is the best so far, If I saw it for the first time here I would have voted for it

2 Likes

G reminds me of a papyrus scroll, as well as making sense of being a scroll-able sequence of events and notes (thinking of the Journal view). The three dots on it also looks like nested list, which I felt like a nice touch. Not sure if intentional.

The fidelity and polish of G can probably be iterated on (maybe some A/B tests on variants of the same idea…) but by far feels like the strongest design in what it conceptually represents.

B and E look a bit too much like half GitHub’s “pull request” icon. I can’t get that association with Git VCS out of my head, haha. I like both but at first look I could easily mistake this for belonging to some VCS tool instead.

Current logo somewhat reminds me of something between GNOME Foundation the Mercurial logo. I looked it up and they are not that similar but… :stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s what gets me:

And what made the finals? Seven L’s, four logs, and a squirrel. So much for wanting abstract and non-literal.

To be clear, I’m not criticizing the designs, just the way the contest was run.

2 Likes

Wonderful idea which resonates perfectly with my personal view of logseq’s strength:
Delimitation, nesting, multidimensionality, holism and simplicity.

1 Like

Thank you! I’m a UX designer by trade, so explaining the research and framing behind my ideas comes pretty naturally to me. And I did have fun making this one, so I consider it a success, even if it doesn’t win.

Yeah, not only is it unfair to the designers, but it actually encourages lower quality work because the competition favors the earliest designs over the best designs. Knowing how the competition works, a smart designer would be encouraged to submit a bad design earlier over a good design later.

I agree with @Cece that some of the latter designs are infinitely better than some of the 12 choices we have. Too bad their designers decided to take their time and do a good job — they should have posted a rushed first attempt, and then maybe they’d have been listed in this voting thread!

It’s probably too late to litigate this, but the right way to do a voting competition like is this is to have three threads: the first one gathers submissions, and feedback and engagement are not scored as part of the competition; in the second one, all submissions from the first thread are presented, and engagement and feedback are measured to produce a top ten (or so); then in the third and final thread, the top ten are voted on. This gives all submissions an equal chance and encourages designers to use the full time allotted for the first phase of the competition to make the best design they possibly can.

5 Likes

First of all, I don’t think I need to be part of the Logseq team to be qualified to comment on good or bad work. The only thing required to comment on logos is aesthetics, not qualifications. Having said that, I’ve been a Backer of Logseq for over half a year. So I did do something to support Logseq. But I don’t think this will have any effect on my comment.

Logseq is an app and a company. To any company, a logo is a serious thing. It’s not some random drawing. It represents the company’s image, vision, and the feelings it hopes to convey to users. It requires professional knowledge and skills. And it should be consistent with the current modern design style. What I want to say is some of the finalists just don’t meet the quality standard of a logo. It is obvious that the 12 finalist logos were not of the same quality (which was evident in the votes). I apologize if I hurt someone’s feeling, but this is true. However, I also saw some designs in the submissions thread that looked good, but unfortunately, they didn’t make it to the finalists. So I think there are some problems in the middle.

And please don’t assume how important Logseq is to me. I have more than 1000 pages in Logseq and it is one of my most used apps. What I want to say is the logo and UX really affects how people use an app. And I truly wish Logseq can be better.

3 Likes

For me the elephant in the room is that they are asking for a logo but then we are voting icons. Logo and icon are different things and to be honest I expect professionals to know it very well.

These icons are good, but what about the logo? The logo must meet some technical requirements, like being recognizable in black and white and at very small sizes. Some of the finalist icons can’t be turn into logos, at least not easily…

2 Likes

@monotreme & @rob
Thanks for the feedback re: how we ran the contest. I understand your concerns about the selection process and your suggestions about the voting competition structure are valuable. When we set up the contest we tried to design the process as fair and inclusive as possible, but I acknowledge that we didn’t find a perfect system.

Regarding the abstract and non-literal designs, I agree that we ended up with a bit more literal interpretations/metaphors than initially anticipated. We tried to find the balance between submissions the team was especially fond of and those that got the most votes in the original thread. But we do appreciate all submissions, and even those that didn’t make the cut for a finalist position will inspire us on the in-house logo design journey.

@cirederf
I understand your concerns about the quality and professionalism of different logo submissions, as well as the importance of a logo in representing a company’s image. Please know that we share these concerns and are committed to ensuring the final logo designed in-house represents Logseq as a quality product. Nevertheless this is a community contest that invited design amateurs to creatively express metaphors associated with Logseq and we did not expect brand agency level submissions.
I understand that there were many deserving designs that didn’t make it to the top and so we’ll take your feedback into account for if we run future contests.

@alex0 Thank you for highlighting the distinction between logos and icons. This is an important point and perhaps we should have been clearer in our language. The designs we requested were intended to serve as app icons that could also easily be adapted into our future logo. I also genuinely think that some old-school technical requirements for logos (eg. needs to be b/w printable in small sizes) aren’t that necessary for a digital product anymore.

I can’t figure out how to vote?
The poll is showing me the current results but not giving me an option to vote for anything…

2 Likes

I’m assuming it’s because I don’t post often, but I’m not allowed to vote, I guess because I mostly read.
Sigh.

I am not allowed to vote, either.

I see this :point_down: maybe because I am a mod I see a “open” button?

1 Like

I am not allowed to vote. I would choose E, if I could.

How / Where do we vote please?
Alternatively, why do some people not get to vote?
I would vote for L; K; E in that order.

@Meroron @francescob @esamecar @Volker @TonyMarone

I’m sorry about this, but I can’t find any setting in the forum that would prevent you from voting. I’ve upped your member level, but I saw that @TonyMarone was already on level 2 and not able to vote, so I’m not sure if this action will help.

Please let me know if you’re able to vote now. If not, I’ll have some work to do to figure out what it could be…

Hi Ramses,

the “Show vote” button ist still disabled. Or is there some other action I am missing?

1 Like