Logseq Logo Community Contest: Voting Thread

Seconding this, I think it would be very beneficial for if, say, i’m recommending this to friends/new converts that the logo hint at the functionality. Log (name allusion) + Pencil/Note (functionality allusion) in some variation or another seems like a great combo, since it maps the two concepts you are trying to capture together.

That, and I think the :wood: motif is pretty cute :grin:

This is a cool way to get community involvement, thanks team!

3 Likes

It would be helpful to the team to get feedback from people who don’t already know what logseq is. e.g., “describe this app” given the logo, or “what does this logo remind you of?”.

That might help identify options that are too generic or possibly misinterpreted (e.g., some logs might look too much like toilet paper or food).

5 Likes

I am not a fan of the “log” interpreted by a piece of wood. But if that is already a widely common emoji so be it.

In the true spirit of productivity: i really hope a nice one wins and becomes the new face of logseq, but after all it is just a logo and i will use it regardless of its appereance :rofl:

5 Likes

I am also partial to the :wood: logos. I personally hope option C makes it into the top three.

1 Like

Hmmm… how many of the finalist designs weren’t done by professional designers?

It looks like the guidance about “we want to see your concepts, even if they were drawn on a napkin!” was a steaming pile. There are only five ideas here and all of these entries appear to be professionally executed.

2 Likes

I’m probably going to sound such a miserable old sod, now, but I prefer the existing logo over all of them. :confused:

7 Likes

So many good works for a single application when there are tons of FOSS projects in need of a better logo/icon, therefore I encourage everyone to get more involved in FOSS and contribute with their drawing skills. Even some Logseq plugins need better icons in my opinion. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I can’t be the only one who’s been reminded of this… Original Log Commercial | The Ren & Stimpy Show | NickRewind - YouTube

5 Likes

Hi, longtime Logseq user and new user in the forum. I registered to vote for a logo so I hope its ok that I share my opinion here.

I am truly disappointed by the way the shortlist was chosen. That is not because I think the logos are bad or something However, I think the process described above to choose the logos is genuinely flawed. It comes down to the fact that you disclosed the logos publicly from the start and took the community engagement of the submission phase massively into account.
(A time where everybody should be able to upload without any disadvantage for taking longer than others.)

This led to later submissions having:

1. Less absolute attention by our community, because the attention after the announcement fades over the weeks after the submission phase
  2. Much less time of possible exposure for community engagement (weeks for the first movers vs hours for the latest submissions)
  3. An unfair placement at the end of a super long thread, which almost no one scrolls through with equal attention.

That is twice ans unfortunate as you can tell that some of the later submissions are among the most professional. You can also tell that the authors needed the days and weeks to perfect their drafts.

Though the Community engagement is super important I think it should only be taken into account in the voting phase.

13 Likes

Omg I remember this from childhood!

1 Like

It’s better than bad, it’s good!

2 Likes

I don’t want to be rude but a lot of those designs look very amateur… I would rather delete the software if I see the icon on my desktop.

I should not react to this, but I don’t understand this mentality.

Are you a fundraiser of logseq or a developer one? Have you did something for logseq and his community ? Maybe, I don’t know. The label over your message saying that you haven’t post since a while show otherwise.

Then why insulting the work of other that at least try to do something? And if at the end you want to delete the app just because you don’t like the logo, please do so, that means you don’t really use the app for it’s true value. But to say it like you did is useless anyway, it’s just poison.

I wanna precise I’m no one to logseq neither, and I haven’t participate to this contest. I just don’t understand haters.

[quote="cirederf, post:34, topic:18903, full:
I don’t want to be rude but a lot of those designs look very amateur… I would rather delete the software if I see the icon on my desktop.

1 Like

Hey Cece -

Sorry to have disappointed you! I did my best to try to keep things fair and keep things moving.

The finalists were picked by a combination of different metrics:

1. Internal voting: we as a team had a document with all the designs, and voted on logos we wanted to put through to the final round
  2. Total number of likes: submissions that had the most number of likes made it through to the last round. Yes, these were skewed from being first, or top of thread, but it would have been equally unfair to not include these.
  3. Relative number of like: submissions that were submitted later but had a disproportional amount of likes received extra points.

Then there was a question of how many posts to include. There was a pretty clear cutoff after 12 finalists, where there were maybe 20-30 submissions that ended up ranking equally.

Faced with a choice between either restricting it to the 12 top ranking submissions, or including 36+ contenders, I went with the former. I would have loved to include every submission, but I believe having a smaller pool of finalists will lead to better results on the final poll.

My sincerest apologies if the logos you liked didn’t make the cut. It really was a tough decision - I’m being completely genuine when I say the whole team was blown away by the submissions. There were really a lot of great ideas, and we appreciate the work that went into all the submissions!

1 Like

Im honored to be in the top 12. Thank you all for recognition and support!

Btw, i hope that before voting, in addition to considering the good-looking appearance, u can also to know about the design concept of the logo and the story behind icon, that will be very interesting. :yum:

3 Likes

Such a shame that the generic nodes in L shape logo is gonna win. Logo G is by far the best for its uniqueness. Although it looks a little like a chat app by representing a chat bubble, maybe the stump should point upwards.

1 Like

I get that it can be frustrating that another than the one you’re rooting for is ahead, but i can only reiterate what @bendy said – the logo selected as the winner of the community contest won’t necessarily be the final logo. Our team will take the contest results into consideration, but we will create our own version in-house. I’d like to encourage everyone to stay respectful towards all submissions, as every community member put effort and creativity into them. :pray:

3 Likes

Yeah it’s just a logo and while I understand that one wants the icon to launch an app on their devices to look good (me too and indeed I have already used my submission as an icon for Logseq for 1,5 years) what really annoys me is that some platforms don’t let the user change the app icons, for example Android. On Linux I don’t have this problem.

I know there are some apps that let the user customize their icon even on Android, like Telegram, but I don’t want to bother Logseq developers with workarounds for Android or whatever’s limitations.

So I take this opportunity to emphasize how much I appreciate community projects and this contest goes in the right direction by involving the community.

So I invite ConsumerOS and SpywareOS users to try more community projects and fewer corporate products that support a very limited number of customizations and don’t care at all about your feedback about logos/icons/branding. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Great submissions! option A is my favorite but tbh I believe the current logo is the best so far, If I saw it for the first time here I would have voted for it

2 Likes

G reminds me of a papyrus scroll, as well as making sense of being a scroll-able sequence of events and notes (thinking of the Journal view). The three dots on it also looks like nested list, which I felt like a nice touch. Not sure if intentional.

The fidelity and polish of G can probably be iterated on (maybe some A/B tests on variants of the same idea…) but by far feels like the strongest design in what it conceptually represents.

B and E look a bit too much like half GitHub’s “pull request” icon. I can’t get that association with Git VCS out of my head, haha. I like both but at first look I could easily mistake this for belonging to some VCS tool instead.

Current logo somewhat reminds me of something between GNOME Foundation the Mercurial logo. I looked it up and they are not that similar but… :stuck_out_tongue: