Logseq sync: content got overwritten when edit without fully synced

I am using logseq sync (w/ smart merge) in windows and android environments. While the sync is in progress (yellow light on cloud icon), I am not able to edit any of the pages and have to wait. It takes a lot of time to sync even small changes. Also, after the sync, I often get duplicate blocks or edits disappear.
Am I the only one experiencing this? I find it quite frustrating and it’s puzzling that there don’t seem to be many issues raised about it.

Translated with DeepL

this is the #1 pain point of logseq. even when paying for their sync feature, it is very easy to lose your notes. smart merge is a step forward, make sure all of your devices have that on.

if you really need to work quickly back and forth between multiple devices (which I often do) - i find that i need to try to remember to not edit the same block. so if i have a notes block about AI on my PC, and i need to jump to my phone to take notes from a call, then make a new parent block so that the “smart merge” will keep them separate.

assuming that the information was captured at least once by the sync server, you can always manually go back and recover an old version. (see Equivalent of 'bak' folder for iOS?)

Another example of sync issues.
In the morning, I turn on my computer and work offline and from a certain time the wifi connection is made (while I work). So I started to review and correct many pages before the arrival of the internet. When the computer connected, the synchronization started without me paying attention. All of my work has returned to the previous state. Fortunately, I was able to recover part of it thanks to the history (but I did not remember all the pages reviewed).
It is abnormal that it is not the last version worked on which is taken into account during synchronization.

As for the option to merge, it is horrible → I end up with two versions of a page on the same page. Absolutely unusable in production. So I deactivated it on both of my devices.

I know at least three people who were very interested in logseq, which is a very nice tool, but who gave up when faced with this type of problem. It’s a shame.

1 Like

I got hit by this again week ago, noticed it today. No new devices added, nothing unusual in usage patterns. Some of the old journal entries just suddently were size of 1 byte. I can go through them one by one and recover content from version history, but this is getting annoying.

Is there a consistent repro for this issue?

I analyzed my problem further. Apparently it is connected to adding a new sync device; Logseq page history view doesn’t have very good date granularity.

Only remedy for me was to restore all journals and pages from a backup pre-dating the new device first sync.

To me this seems pretty flaky. Does anyone know if there’s a bug open for adding new sync devices losing data?

I got the same issues here. I have to open both ends (computer and phone android app) to let the journal sync. If not, what I edited at the computer side will not be sync to the phone. What’s worse, after a few sync option, the old version on the phone side will overwrite the new computer version.
I have to logout the sync account now, and I don’t know how many journals has been affected by this uncontrolled function.

I’ve also experienced a pretty terrible data loss incident, and I’m waiting to hear back from the Logseq team in the hopes of recovering that data.

I was online, always made sure the green circle was there, and I still lost days worth of work. Nothing was backed up or even written to file. It’s really shaken my confidence in the app, and I haven’t used it since…

I’ve experienced data loss with Logseq before, but was always able to recover it via the bak or page history.

yeah, between these regular data loss issues and now this iOS error (iOS app completely un-usable) - i think i will need to find another solution if the team can’t resolve it quickly.

If the issue is with sync, file a bug report and contact them by email. Maybe you’ll have a better experience than me, but I was brushed off and told, via email, that if I wasn’t comfortable with beta software and its implications, that Logseq isn’t for me.

I’ve since cancelled my Open Collective subscription, turned off sync, and use another app as my daily driver.