Making Obsidian play nice with Logseq

You need to sync your Google Drive to your Android storage. There are tools like FolderSync and Auto Sync for Google Drive, that will help you sync your Google Drive to your Android storage.

Obsidian Mobile will work off your Android Storage folder that you synced with Google drive.

Steps

1. Create a folder in your Android File system - give it a name … say “Obsidian_Sync”
  2. Download AutoSync for GDrive (I have tried this and it works) and map your Google Drive folder that has your desktop Obsidian Vault to this “Obsidian_Sync” folder and set up a sync between the two, your Google Drive Obsidian vault and the newly created folder on your Android File system that you named “Obsidian_Sync”
    2.1. You can set up a periodic sync or sync on demand… 2 way, 1 way… etc… it is quite flexible…
  3. Open Obsidian Mobile and point it to the “Obsidian_Sync” as the mobile vault. You should be able to see all the notes on mobile…

Hope this helps

3 Likes

In Obsidian, the name of the daily note is the same as what you see in file explorer. In Logseq what you see as the daily note name and what it shows in files explorer are different.
I will share what I have done to keep them in sync in Obsidian and Logseq, and you can extrapolate it to your naming convention.

I like to see my daily notes in the format YYYY-MM-DD dddd, which translates to - for example 2021-07-17 Saturday… today’s date…
To do that go to daily notes in Obsidian and set that up as the format. Any new daily note you create in Obsidian will have this naming convention and will show up in file explorer in the same format as well.

Logseq, by default, has the file explorer format YYYY_MM_DD if you see the file in the file explorer. To change this to YYYY-MM-DD dddd format, you will need to make a change to the Logseq config.edn and add this entry
:journal/file-name-format “yyyy-MM-dd EEEE”

All new daily notes in the file explorer will show up in YYYY-MM-DD dddd format after you make this change.
Older daily notes names will not change, you will have to manually change them or use the tool that Luhmann has suggested in one of the posts here.

Ideally you would also need to go to settings in Logseq and change the Preferred date format to “yyyy-MM-dd EEEE”

This should solve your problem…

If, instead of YYYY-MM-DD dddd, if you want MMM do, yyyy, as your daily note naming convention, you would need to make the changes in both Obsidian and Logseq in the same places…

Hope this helps…

2 Likes

Are you finding any performance slow-down in logseq, reading in your Obsidian collection? My logseq seems terribly slow. For example, I type in the search box and only get 1-2 letters before I assume it starts searching, and then I wait 30 seconds before I can type the next character. So, unusably slow for logseq. I notice the Obsidian sidebar-list of pages updates instantly.

I wonder if I have “index” my logseq somehow or someplace? I do click the Refresh, to get newly-written pages to show up.

1 Like

I think there are only certain formats that are accepted with the :journal/file-name-format option. I don’t know this for sure but with some formats that I have tried LogSeq simply stops creating daily files at all. There are no errors shown in the console - just no daily files. I’ve tried re-indexing, clearing cache and reloading the vault - nothing seems to work.

The format I wanted to use for the file names was ‘yyyy MM dd - EEEE’ as I like to see the day of week name in the filename as it makes it easier for me to go to the right file when I’m searching through them.

1 Like

For now, I’ve just changed to the logseq standard format. I hope they sort this out in the coming releases…

That sound great. Will try for usre. Thanks :pray:

1 Like

Ok . So have been using Obsidian and Logseq alongside each other. But recently I have come across 2 different issues.

1. When I write something in logseq obsidian writes created and updated info (see attached screenshot)

2. I used block embeds in logseq and apparently obsidian cant handle these? (please see other screenshot)

Are there any suggestions to fix these issues? The block embeds I didn’t use before so I dont know how they behaved but pages were working just fine.

1 Like
  1. You can turn off block timestamps in the Logseq settings. Or you can install this Obsidian plugin. (I haven’t tried it yet.)
  2. You can search for the block reference number in Obsidian and it will take you to the original block. (Might be something that plugin could add as well? Maybe someone could suggest it…)
1 Like

Thanks for sharing the plugin. Is there a reason I cannot find the plugin in Obsidian’s Community plugins? I want to be sure I don’t download any viruses…

1 Like

It doesn’t seem to be there yet.

Okay, would it be safe to assume it’ll appear in the next week or two?

You should ask the developer.

1 Like

This is awesome. I really appreciate your help!

2 Likes

How do I make this work when logseq doesn’t create a page that only has backlinks?

If I was in a note with the title “Music Techniques”, researching music production techniques, and I found a cool music plugin along the way, I might want to link a page that doesn’t exist yet (a list of music plugins). I type [[VST Plugins]] into the note.

In logseq, it knows not to actually make that .md file unless I type stuff into it. The app treats it as though it exists.

In obsidian, however, if I were to search “VST Plugins,” it would not come up because the page doesn’t exist.

This seems like a problem for reliably using these together. One of the cool features of Logseq/Roam is creating pages on the fly.

1 Like

For some reason I have many duplicate pages that include “%20” in it. (I’m sure this has something to do with the obisidan name changing format)

The problem is that the pages aren’t ‘created’ yet, so I can’t just go to File Explorer, and delete them. Is there a way to quickly select, delete them?

Am I overlooking something? In Obsidian, I see code for block ids and so on.

1 Like

Obsidian and Logseq have different conventions for handling block references. These look like Logseq block refs. If you want to find them in Obsidian you can use the search function.

A bit off topic for his thread, but both Obsidian and Logseq use plain text files, so you can use any text editor to go through and clean up your data. I like BBEdit on the mac, which has a powerful multifile search and replace function. Make sure to back things up before you do this.

1 Like

Thanks. This means using Obsidian with Logseq is not a serious option for me. I’ll stick with Logseq. and write my longform in iAWriter.

The main utility of using the apps together is to be able to search and find your data on mobile, and to be able to use Obsidian plugins with your Logseq data. It isn’t useful for much more than that right now. (And once the Logseq mobile app is released there will be even less need to do this.)

4 Likes