Migrating from Obsidian - all pages have the same timestamp in Logseq

Hey guys,

I’d like to give Logseq a go, and I am migrating my notes from Obsidian. Things are going well more or less; however, I can’t find out how to keep pages’ timestamps. i.e. all source “.md” files coming from Obsidian have the correct created-at timestamp (I’m on a Mac); however, when indexed/opened in Logseq, all of them come with a timestamp of today.

Does anyone know how to fix that? I’d be great to have the original timestamps as they are useful when searching and ordering.

Thanks,
Stan

3 Likes

I was just going to ask that question.

I am on a mac and you can do cp -p to preserve those properties. See man cp in terminal.

Thanks. Experience with terminal in Linux now many years ago. Infrequent use on macOS. Could you give more details, e.g., is it enough to type what you suggest in a just opened terminal; or does there need to be a directory reference in issuing the command?

Open a terminal and type the command …

for example …

cp -p ~/Documents/name_of_file.ext ~/Downloads/

This copies the name_of_file.ext in the Documents directory to the Downloads directory.

Normally the date of the file will be changed to the moment you copy the file. With the -p it will keep the old value.

Thanks.

The files didn’t get copied. They were merely read by Logseq in the folder in which they were originally created, in this case my Obsidian vault.

When I look at the files in the Obsidian vault in the Finder they have the still have the original creation date. In Logseq they show the date on which they were first read by Logseq.

So since nothing go copied is there a way to force Logseq to use the original creation date?