Move block to another page

The Problem

Sometimes i find it necessary to move a block to a new page; But when I do this all the previous linked references to that block are broken

Possible Solution

When cutting and pasting a block to another page, automatically assign the previous block ref

Current Workaround

Open the files in vscode and manually cut and paste the block along with the block ref.

Yeah I find this bug to be rather troublesome as well. It also deters me from using Move Block because I wouldn’t want to accidentally move a block with a block-id on it that I can’t see.

Another user spoke up about it in the discord server but received very little response:

Lately I have noticed that block references break very easily (I am not sure if that’s a recent regression, or that’s how it behaved)

Let’s say I am referrring to some block using the (( … )) syntax. If I edit that block, or move that block to a different page, all those (( … )) break i.e. they show in red.

Should Logseq auto-factor the block references when a block’s UUID changes?
Logseq v0.6.6 Windows (edited)
@kaushalmodi Discord message

Maybe I’m not using the proper keywords to find related posts on the forum, but if there has been a previous post about this before we can merge them.

Alternative Solution

Maybe the block UUID could be visible as a property like aliases etc. Even better it is only visible when we are editing the block so that it’s easy to move it from one block to another. When it’s the UUID is visible we can at least manually do a global search to see where the new block ended up and link it back again.

Setup

Logseq: 0.6.6

You should be able to use the plugin called Move Block https://github.com/vipzhicheng/logseq-plugin-move-block

for me, the move block plugin has been a bit buggy. The blocks either go missing or the block id’s still break, maybe that has changed in the recent versions of the plugin and logseq.

One plugin that has worked well with moving around blocks safely was the swap block plugin. there’s the extra step of referencing the block you want to move first before swapping the blocks, but they haven’t broken the references in other locations in my notes so far.

I hit this one (or work around it) very frequently. Drag-and-drop works great when moving blocks a short distance, Move Block works great between pages, but for getting something from one area of a longer page to another, it’s hard to beat Cut and Paste… except for this issue.

One potentially simple-to-code solution occurred to me:

When preparing the HTML to Cut, add hidden attributes (like data-logseq="id: xxxx") to the <li> tags. Then, when pasting, try to reuse those ids. But ignore the id if it’s already in use, since someone might Cut once and then Paste twice.

This should be in the core feature of logseq, drag and drop and plugin may solve it on the desktop, but on mobile there’s still no way to move the block to another page.

1 Like