New (to) Logseq, who dis?

Hello from London, UK! I’m a writer, editor, educator and independent artistic director in the literature sector here.

I’ve had my eyes on Logseq for a while now, and I’ve kicked the tyres on more than one occasion, but today I’m committing to making some meaningful use of it. I’ve been intrigued by the possibilities of a knowledge management system that facilitates back-links and graphs, but there were a few things that got in the way for my use case…

• I work primarily on mobile devices— an iPad Pro, and even an iPad Mini at times, and I appreciate being able to use an iPad in a way that doesn’t depend on a keyboard, which doesn’t work well with many knowledge management systems where at least some of the functionality is invoked by keyboard shortcuts…
  • I already have a stack of tools that I’m pretty comfortable with on the most part (Drafts, GoodTask and iThoughts) for tasks, note-taking and managing knowledge, even if it did feel like there was something I was missing out on whenever I’d look at Logseq, Roam et al.

What changed?

• The biggest thing was setting up a Drafts<–>GitHub<–>Logseq workflow. It’s early days yet, but this helped me set up a couple of actions in Drafts that allow me to push/pull .md files, meaning I should be able to continue working with the workflows I’m already comfortable with while maintaining Logseq as an additional sense-making layer. I don’t intend to push all of the notes I make to Logseq; instead, a specific subset. Rather than the traditional signal/noise analogy, I’m thinking of Logseq as a more tightly focused lens for my Drafts signal. Narrower beam.
  • Of course, the fact that I’ve been working from home and that I’m much more likely to be working from the same desk every day has made a difference. But also, I recently fell into a split ergo mechanical keyboard rabbit-hole (currently typing on a Lily58, but I have a feeling that there’s a Corne in my future). I’m now just as likely to be typing on actual keys as I am to be tapping on glass, which means there’s a better chance that I’ll be able to make use of keyboard shortcuts. That said, being able to round trip with Drafts means I don’t really have to worry about it so much anyway.

All in all, I’m looking forward to getting to know Logseq much more closely over the coming days/weeks/months.

5 Likes

Hi @jsamlarose, nice to have you on board! Your Drafts + Logseq workflow is interesting. The mobile experience does need a lot of improvement. Middle-sized devices like iPad should work fine if you have an external keyboard attached.

Feedback is always welcomed. Feel free to ask anything here or on the Logseq Discord channel.

1 Like

Hey! Re: Drafts workflow: yep— like I say, early days yet. It’s fine for pages authored in Drafts, but I need to put some more work into thinking about how I work with pages I start in Logseq, bearing in mind the way that blocks in Logseq = markdown headers, which differs from the way I’ve managed outlines in Drafts up until now using bullet points and indents…

Speaking of indents, is there a shortcut for indenting/unindenting in Logseq? Haven’t found anything yet. iOS’ native keyboard doesn’t have a tab for anything less than an 11” iPad, meaning no easy way to indent/unindent from a smaller mobile device. Notion and Dynalist have indent controls built into the interface— is there anything like this I’ve missed?

We are working on markdown support unordered lists as blocks, public roadmap here. It’s coming soon.

In case of indent, I don’t think there are shortcuts other than tab. Again, the mobile experience needs much more care. I like the Notion way (toolbar above the keyboard), which is a common UI pattern for mobile editing app.

1 Like