Persisting Graph shape - keeping nodes' position after navigating away

Hello everyone,

I have searched and probably this feature hasn’t been request yet.

I would like a feature to keep the Graph shape (meaning position of all nodes) stay the same after you manually arrange them and navigate away and re-visit them again.

Use case:
I would like to arrange the nodes as my own flow of thoughts and get familiar to the graph to quickly see how an area is developed and/or organized.
Right now the graph is quite messy and doesn’t give much insight of the knowledge.
So, I don’t mind spending time to manually dragging and arranging all nodes into comprehensive cluster to represent a topic or a project.
But if I navigate to a page to edit something and get back to the graph, all the nodes spring back to the auto-generated state.
If the Graph view can stay the same as you arrange them, you can grab a quick top view of how all the topics relate, then go edit some pages, then get back to the Graph view and very easily see the changes and adjusts you just did. That’s not possible yet as right now.

Technical:
I hope this feature should not be consuming too much effort. Specifically what I mean is:

• Save the data of the nodes’ position (when manually arranged) and reload it when the Graph View is loaded.
  • Probably an option to manually trigger the auto-arranging function of the Graph (reset Graph shape), not automatically run every time the Graph view is loaded as it does right now.

If you believe this feature will make the Graph view become more helpful too, please vote so that the team can prioritize their effort to this.

Thank you all for reading!
_ Hieu Hoang _

I like this idea a lot, I feel like the graph looks pretty crazy when I look at it. I think as a starter maybe they should look into having it look prettier by default. I feel like most of the time move nodes, it’s because I want to be able to see things better because everything is just ontop of eachother.

4 Likes

What happened to this request? Does nobody care about the graph view? :worried:
I would definitely appreciate a more useful graph with a better position of nodes and fixing ability.
Also with the shift click on the node to open on the right bar, not to close the graph, and add/ fix the connection with other nodes by adding tags, pages, and whatever I find inspirational from the graph view.

I’d like to bump up this request. It would be great to be able to save the position of the dots in space. Should not be so difficult to do, says me who is not able to code.
So pretty please someone so this. I can draw you a picture as a reward (not claiming to be good at that)

Is this something that can be done? It would be great to have a ‘saved’ mindmap layout. Or are there tips for workarounds? The most basic thing I can think of as of now is screenshotting the Graph View every week and keeping gthat as an overview:)

Hey all, I believe this is partially resolved by the 0.10.6 release. The graph forces have been improved and you can customise them to your own requirements. This should mean the graph layout it defaults to is not messy in the first place, as you can customise the forces used.

These are persistent when you click away and return to the graph page. The graph will rebuild, but with the forces chosen by you. This resulted in a significant improvement during testing

1 Like