Please help me - where can I find publicized knowledge bases as examples of best practices in using this LogSeq software? I am struggling to organize notes and it is all tumbleweed

I did not expect the software to have such a big steep learning curve.

Is there anyone out there that shares how they do and organize their notes that is neat and proper?

I want to take a look to see how it looks like because right now notes are messy with links all over the place.

Any ideas???

1 Like

To get started, search youtube for #Logseq … there are quite a few people showing how they implement Logseq.

OneStutteringMind also has a beginner’s course on youtube. Once you start getting acclimated, he also has a paid Logseq Mastery Course, if you’re interested.

The other resource I recommend is the Logseq Community Hub.

There are lots of other resources out there, but these are good places to start your Logseq Journey.

3 Likes

Thank you. I have already watched a good bit of tutorials but the details are still not quite hashed out. I would like to find a full on LogSeq notebook to see how one would organize everything.

Do you know any resources to find something like that? Not a tutorial but an actual notebook to example off of.

The closest thing that I’m aware of are the Challenges in the August Logseq Query Learning Sprint. In order to get the most out of that though, I would suggest starting the second two-week sprint. The first week covers basics and I highly recommend reviewing those before tackling the second week’s Challenges. @Ramses provided some example graphs for us to download and experiment with and build upon. Each successive project build upon the previous ones.

1 Like

I would be wary of trying to copy anyone else’s graph too closely. The domain is called Personal Knowledge Management for a reason, and without hearing more about what you’re trying to get our of LogSeq (or any other software), it’s hard to know what to take from others and what to discard.

I would suggest starting with your use cases for using the program and working backwards from there. Do you want a regular place to journal? Do you want to publish things about ideas you’ve collected? Are you building a proposal at work or elsewhere in life? There are a number of ways you could organize toward any or all of those goals.

Be careful about defining your goal as “get organized” or something similarly vague. Reasonable people disagree on the best way to do that, and depending on if they have a practical background, research background, programming background, or otherwise you’ll get very different answers. You could spend all your energy putting stuff in the “right” place, only to find you didn’t really get what you were hoping to get out of the system after all.

@KnowledgeSeq

I found another resource where people are publishing their graphs online … maybe this will be of benefit to you.

://briansunter.com/graph/#/page/logseq-social

Welcome to Logseq! This is an outlining tool that’s very versatile, that’s why you don’t see us press too much on how to use it. But, we’re working on improving the onboarding experience.

In the meanwhile, @AgedLace already linked to some useful resources. If you’re brand new to Logseq and don’t know much about (networked) outlines, hopefully this video and article are useful:

1 Like

Hey, I also started to use Logseq just recently.

Read blog posts, and watched YT videos basically. The idea of analysing other people’s graph is great because it gives tangibility on all the features.

Then, I could suggest you create a ‘sandbox’ graph for one topic you’re interested in, and start taking notes on it, you will get the sense of your needs.

As the way I understood it, the app is about:
  • Creating pages with logically indented blocks
  • Link together what needs to be linked together (there are different ways of doing this)
    • Add metadata to pages and block
  • Retrieve the info (pages and/or blocks basically) after you have added them

The **Retrieve** part is where Logseq (or we can say, all these new note-taking apps) main innovation is. You can retrieve info in different ways:
  • CMD+K: search for a specific page or block
  • Looking at “Linked/Unliked Reference” bottom part of a page
    • to see all the block the opened page is referred into
  • Create custom tables (or list) of pages/blocks → with Queries

At the end, this seems to be it. If you don’t add any metadata to a text, that text could be hypothetically lost, or at least it is not lost until you can retrieve with in your mind :neutral_face:.

Limitations

The view on the retrieved data is not that flexible. In the Linked/Unliked Reference section, at the moment, you can only filter what you don't want to see. The View of the results of Queries is also very strict.

Also, tables are not that usable, at least at the moment.

Organization

You are not allowed to have folders in Logseq. If part of your graphs is about a strict and clear classification (I don't know, something like a Bird Taxonomy), you can't put them in some separate folders, or even virtual folders.

You perhaps have to create a page that collects all the taxonomy, so you will need to write the pages of the birds inside the collection page one by one, and indent them by the taxonomy inside the blocks of the collection page. Can’t drag-n-drop dozens of pages just like that like you would with folders.

So the Retrieve part is kinda connected to the view and organization part. If you want to have different views and organizations of your data, you have to add a good amount of metadata to your pages and blocks, then create targeted Queries based on your choice of view and available metadata.

The Journal section was created to solve one problem: asking yourself “Where should I put this page/info?”
So some Logseq users may advice you to put everything, or the majority of your info, inside the date of a Journal (most probably the same date of the day you’re writing the info).
Then, to add metadata to the text added in the journal.

Example:
A Todo regarding Client [[ACME]]
So you write your todo inside the Journal, “Send Invoice nr. 8900”, and then add the tag #ACME to the same block, or the parent block of the todo.

You then should have some queries that would allow you to retrieve all the todos for a specific client. And that would probably be inside another page outside the journal, somehow organized base on your needs.

Yes, the Journal does solve the problem of “where I should put this”, but on the long term, you may have some part of you graph well organized, meaning you may not need to ask that to yourself, you already know which part of your graph the new info should be put in.

In that case though, somehow I still find a bit of friction to connect these new ‘stable’ info, because each time I need to put a link inside the newly created page, that connects it to the interested part of my graph. Sometimes, I do miss having the opportunity to have some small hierarchies, some folder-like structure for part of may graph.

Because, for some single pages, in order to arrive to them, you still need to traverse a path of several pages (in the bottom Linked Ref. part) to arrive to the one you need, just like you traverse folders.
Or you just need to remember all the page names, and arrive to the one you want by writing in the search field after pressing CMD+K. I whish I had that kind of superpowerful memory :exploding_head: .

Hope this all text could be of help to smooth out your introduction to Logseq usage.

2 Likes

Hi KnowledgeSeq

I too struggle for a few weeks. I’m not a programmer and kept having errors with my queries. I’d highly recommend doing the Logseq mastery course. It does a good job of explaining the building blocks of Logseq. Once you understand the basics you can really build your own graph. There are important concepts that you need to how blocks work and how they relate to pages. How Logseq’s hierarchy is works. Youtube videos are helpful but they tend to be deep dives into specific topics. The logseq mastery course is a more structured approach to learning.

I have to say though, I’ve enjoyed the journey. I’ve been able to use queries to build a work to do list. I know just take down meeting notes on my journal page. Tag it appropriately and it appears in all the right places.

1 Like