[Poll] Which one do you prefer? Contents, Starred, Favorites, etc

Most users are confused by the name Contents, the related discussion is here:
https://discuss.logseq.com/t/rename-contents-to-favorites

We’d like to make it easier to use, so here’s the poll suggested by @santi.

• Contents
  • Starred
  • Favorites
  • workbench
  • Bookmarks
  • Quick Access
  • Pinboard
  • Desk
  • Shelf

0 voters

In the meantime, we’ll add a star icon to make it easier to read, another thing to improve the current situation is to preserve the default Contents name but make the display name configurable so everyone could be happy, what do you think?

Is there a reason that you didn’t include ‘favorites’? It’s even in the title of your post! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Also, is there any way to do a poll with approval voting or similar? There are a handful that I like and only a few that I really don’t like. But allowing only one vote can’t reflect that.

oops, my bad, it seems that I have to wait for 5 minutes to change the poll settings :joy:

Let me check, it’s my first poll on Discourse.

It’s updated now with favorites and multiple options, but discourse dropped the old votes, so please vote it again!

Awesome! thanks for making this poll.

I’d personally advice against the idea of being able to configure the name. I think it’d be best to ultimately decide on one name to rule them all :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: (even if that name remains as “contents”)

Having defined names makes it much clearer for the community to talk about Logseq with ease.

From my perspective, I’m planning teaching resources for people to learn Logseq.
Clear names for features, panels, functions etc… Are of huge help, specially to avoid confusion for beginners.

5 Likes

Good point! I prefer to have only one name too, but it’s hard to have a name to rule them all :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Especially when people publishing their notes/books/tutorials to the public, “favorites” or “bookmarks” might not work for them. What I think is to have a default name that makes sense for beginners and most of the users, and leave the option to change the display name for custom needs.

1 Like

Yeah I get you, it’s definitely tricky.

Yeah that sounds like I great idea, I like that!

2 Likes

haha, according to the current votes, it seems that Contents is really a bad name for most of the users :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: hahah I don’t think it’s that bad, it’s just a bit ambiguous and hard to determine what it stands for. I do understand it’s a hard thing to name, since it’s such a general and versatile feature.

1 Like

Sorry for reviving old post, but i just saw this now (im new to logseq)

Id argue for Quick Acess or a similar alternative as the best choice- not a matter of taste here but the most versatile option overall.

Anything specific should be avoided- favorites, bookmarks etc depends on how each person will use the feature/page.

Anything more abstract or broad regarding contents or usage becomes too vague for new users- workbench, contents, etc…

Pinboard, pin or pinned would imply wrong expectations; Board is associated with a nonlinear layout or whiteboard/corkboards; Pin is a common design pattern that usually would mean the user would pin something and that would then appear there (and thats not how it works)

It should imply something that is absolute about the feature and can be quickly learned and associated through usage and normal feedback loop- that is, something someone could figure out and understand/learn quickly just by trying, not even looking at documentation or tutorials.

I only see 3 such aspects:

• it is quick to access
  • its intended for the sidebar, additional
  • its permanent, fixated there

So a term related to quickacess, sidebar or similar would be better…
I tought of side note or side notes as another alterntive but sadly Side Note could imply something that exists per page, a wrong expectation (its an feature in some apps like scrivener)- while Side Notes imply plurarity and some could associate note as pages and get confused on ‘only being one side notes’

Maybe ‘Fixed’ could work- would be better if it was called ‘fixed note’ or similar, fixed for short…?