Portable Windows Installer

It would be great if there could be a portable windows version (or a single-user installer) that didn’t need to be installed with administrator credentials.

Essential to have a portable version, or at least one that can be copied to/run-from a USB drive - like Obsidian can accommodate

10 Likes

I could really use a portable version packed in a zip.
For my use case a single user install executable is not any more useful than the existing installer.

FYSA, if you set
LOCALAPPDATA, APPDATA, USERPROFILE, TEMP, and TMP

To a common folder in a command line window, and then run the installer from that same window, you can truck the installer into kind-of-portable installing.

There may be a smaller set of environment variables that will work, I just haven’t done that much experimenting.

At the moment I am using a portable installation of the chrome browser and the Webapp as a workaround. So I can work on my journal on an SD-Card. The webapp seems to be limited and does not show local images, but at least I can work with text and TODOs.
This should leave no traces on the host computer. I hope.

Definitely a must for me too.

1 Like

It’s very important for me to have a portable version.

1 Like

I have extracted the ".nupkg\lib\net45" folder from the .exe file and I have it as "portable:, being able to execute and run locally as if it was installed. I still see hooks/folders in C:\Users<User>\AppData[Local][LocalLow][Roaming] and I wish a Portable App wouldn’t leave anything inside any windows folders, neither User Folders or System-Wide but I am not sure that is even possible with any Portable App.

Rename Net45 to Logseq and run the logseq.exe from there.

3 Likes

I’d like to request providing a portable version of Logseq, I think many people could greatly benefit from this. Thanks!

Welcome. Many people have already voted for Portable Windows Installer

2 Likes

I believe the limiter to portability is that the metadata for which plugins are installed is put under the \Users<user>\AppData\local.logseq folder (in Windows) or /home//.logseq (in Linux).

For it to be truly portable this should be in a folder that is relative to the install directory.

2 Likes

I am currently considering deploying Logseq within our organization. I want to distribute it with pre-set config.edn, custom.css, and plugins to meet the organization’s requirements. To do this, I am planning to bundle the Logseq program into a single zip file, along with various configuration files and a pre-written graph. I have had some success by downloading the Logseq Windows zip version, combining it with other customized files, and creating a batch file that temporarily changes some Windows environment variables (HOMEDRIVE, HOMEPATH, USERPROFILE, APPDATA, LOCALAPPDATA, TEMP, TMP) before running Logseq.

However, there is still an issue where the global config is being sourced from the .logseq folder under C:\Users\user. Also, the path of the graph is set as an absolute path, leading to issues in finding the graph depending on the folder where the zip file is extracted.

It would be ideal if there was a portable zip version that supports the following two features:

1. Setting the location of the global config files relative to the logseq.exe path.
  2. Specifying the graph folder relative to the logseq.exe path.
2 Likes