Problems Syncing

Hi logseq community!

This is sort of a basic question, but are there tips for preventing data loss and ensuring syncing is working relatively smoothly?

I’ve been using logseq since Sept ‘20 and generally been loving it. I love that it is open source and feature rich.

However, the biggest issue that continues to plague me is syncing issues. I use logseq across my laptop, iPhone, and iPad. Often, I will jump between devices and my logseq will be out of sync. When I try to pull, it overwrites the changes already on GitHub with my local copy (meaning, data gets erased).

I’ve also suffered loss the other way where I think my changes are pushed and then realize it never merged and lose a lot of data.

Are there general tips on how I can avoid these? I love using logseq and this is the one thing that grinds my gears.

1 Like

In fact, just now, I’m getting a “cannot find repo dir” error right now and I have no idea how to resolve this

One last one: now I’m getting “ Push rejected because it was not a simple fast-forward. Use “force: true” to override.” and it is unclear where and how to do this. Is there a way to force the merge flow?

1 Like

Not really an answer to your Github syncing issues. Just my understanding of how Logseq devs are viewing these Github syncing issues.

1. Logseq depreciating direct syncing to Github. No direct support for Logseq desktop app. Only logseq.com web app still support Github repo syncing for now.
  2. Logseq suggest using other folder level syncing software (dropbox, gdrive etc) for Logseq desktop app local folders/repo. This could be more stable syncing than via Github.
  3. Logseq will develop collaboration feature in the future, that perhaps will better support multidevice access to same repo too.

In meantime using multiple github repos may reduce sync errors. Have only one device doing writing/updating to the main repo. Other devices only read that main repo and create/update onto secondary repo. Use logseq easy switching between repos, to copy/merge any necessary data.

Limiting the secondary devices to only create/update on specific limited pages on main repo could also limit syncing errors.

2 Likes

“ Push rejected because it was not a simple fast-forward. Use “force: true” to override.” and it is unclear where and how to do this. Is there a way to force the merge flow?

Can we get an answer to this?

“ Push rejected because it was not a simple fast-forward. Use “force: true” to override.” and it is unclear where and how to do this. Is there a way to force the merge flow?

Can we get an answer to this?

I no longer use git to sync but I saw advice that worked for me in the past… Log out then log in again.

You might want to backup your local folder first just to be safe.

1 Like